What's new

Sub #200

...to answer my own question: usefully, they list the wire thickness and aperture size.

So #200sf has a aperture of 99microns, and a wire thickness of 28microns. Compare to 74 and 53 for standard #200

#180 would give an aperture similar to sf at 91microns, but nearly twice the wire thickness.

This intrigues me. The aperture must be related to its capillary action. The wire thickness to its mechanical strength. Think I might try a sheet of #150

I think the capillary action occurs between the layers of mesh. The apertures just makes the mesh permeable, allowing juice to move in and out of the wick. However, if you have too big an aperture size, I would imagine the wicking effect between layers would be hampered. Conversly, too small an aperture size and thicker juice will take a while to absorb into or exude from it. So there is a payoff between different meshes.

200sf is a good mesh because it is thin; you can get lots and lots of layers into your wick. It is also permeable for thick juice. At the other end of useable stuff: 500 mesh is also thin, and it has a small aperture size so it should be suitable for thinner juice.

I'd be interested to see what you find if you get some of this stuff.

I'd like to see an analysis of the physics actually. I've done some tests on my own. I've seen two phenomena. The inter-sheet wicking you mention above. Which seems to happen regardless of guage, even with flat sheets of foil. There is also another effect, maybe wrong to call it capillary action, where the juice works its way from strand to strand vertically. This is dependent on guage and gap size...

I'm still struggling to work out the actual difference between the various gauges, so am finding this interesting, thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom