What's new

SS rope and micro coils

pogle

Postman
After having tried all the usual suspects,mesh,silica,rico sf and cotton,about a month ago i gave the ss rope which came with my kraken a bash-and WOW what a vape,absolutely loved it.I built it with 4 wraps around a mesh sleeve and it works fine,but previously when i was using other wicking materials a micro coil always gave a far better vape than single wraps.
Now comes the dilema-from experience i've found if a coil is working fine,leave it alone as the replacement never seems to perform as well,but i'm curious as to how a micro coil would work with the rope,but don't want to ruin the coil i'm currently using,so is there anyone hereabouts whos tried a micro coil on ss rope and could possibly offer a bit of advice ?
cheers...

After having tried all the usual suspects,mesh,silica,rico sf and cotton,about a month ago i gave the ss rope which came with my kraken a bash-and WOW what a vape,absolutely loved it.I built it with 4 wraps around a mesh sleeve and it works fine,but previously when i was using other wicking materials a micro coil always gave a far better vape than single wraps.
Now comes the dilema-from experience i've found if a coil is working fine,leave it alone as the replacement never seems to perform as well,but i'm curious as to how a micro coil would work with the rope,but don't want to ruin the coil i'm currently using,so is there anyone hereabouts whos tried a micro coil on ss rope and could possibly offer a bit of advice ?
cheers...

I have this arrangement on three gennies, including the Kraken. If you wrap your coil on a 2.5mm drill bit, and wrap the top of the SS rope with mesh, the wick will slide down into the microcoil just nicely. Torch the mesh a bit, and roll it tight around the rope - - just enough to cover it, don't put layers and layers on it.

This build is so stable, and needs so little attention, you have to remember to disassemble it once in a while and clean away the gunk from the coil. I've just done this today with all three, and there's been a sudden dramatic improvement in the flavour of the vape.

Cheers @remnant,decided to bite the bullet and have spent the last couple of hours trying to to get the coil onto the wick just as you described,but unfortunately i've only got a set of jewellers screwdivers and 2.4mm is just a tad too small and 3mm just a tad too big.
Gonna stick with this now i know its do-able,just need to track down some drillbits-I reckon about 2.7mm(7/64)should do it.
Thanks again...

edit-just sussed it,a couple of wraps of mesh round the screwdriver,built the coil on that and it fits perfect on the wick,theres a slight taste to it,but hopefully that'll disappear with a bit of use...

Last edited:
Cheers @remnant,decided to bite the bullet and have spent the last couple of hours trying to to get the coil onto the wick just as you described,but unfortunately i've only got a set of jewellers screwdivers and 2.4mm is just a tad too small and 3mm just a tad too big.
Gonna stick with this now i know its do-able,just need to track down some drillbits-I reckon about 2.7mm(7/64)should do it.
Thanks again...

edit-just sussed it,a couple of wraps of mesh round the screwdriver,built the coil on that and it fits perfect on the wick,theres a slight taste to it,but hopefully that'll disappear with a bit of use...
My current build is a variation
2.5 ss rope topped with 400 ss mesh
Cut to size and remove wick
Tightly wrap 1mm x 0.1 mm ribbon round mesh top
Replace wick terminate coil and pulse out hotspots
Big coil almost touching wraps and bags of flavour
5/6 wrap gave me 1.3 ohms

Sent from (who cares) using Planet of the Vapes

Anyone found a good way to cut ss rope cleanly without paying out for a set of steel rope cutters?

Sorry, did'nt know it was THAT thick

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

You could use a dremmel or if you've not got one,a hacksaw would do the job-just remember to wrap the ss rope with tape where you want to cut it.

Anyone found a good way to cut ss rope cleanly without paying out for a set of steel rope cutters?

I got a reasonably clean cut with a drem-alike, with the rope held in a vice, but in the end, paying out for steel rope cutters was what I did.

I know someone who uses a Leatherman multitool to do it, but I doubt that would be a cheaper option.

edit: I'm seeing mentions of 2.5mm rope - my earlier suggestion of wrapping on a 2.5mm drill bit was intended for 2mm rope, which is what I've been using...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom