What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

SS Mesh.. Is it for everyone?

Lockett

Postman
Hey guy and gals, I hope someone can help my curiosity. So I recently got a Kraken clone and cut a long story short I built it with SS Mesh (400) and 5 wraps of .32 Kanthal. Total Res of 1.5ohms. The thing is vaping like a champ, no hot spots, no hot legs nothing. I throughly washed the Kraken and stripped it to pieces and soaked it so I am fairly confident no machining residue is contaminating it.

I filled it with some lovely Digbys Apple + Cinnamon juice and I started to vape away. Shortly after I couldn't help but to feel like I am tasting something metallic in the vape. I have never done a SS Mesh build before so I wasn't sure what to expect really. I heard it was one of the best materials to use and I was looking forward to it, but something don't seem right. So my real question is... Is it normal for some people to taste what I am tasting. Have other people experienced it? Is SS Mesh for everyone or perhaps an 'aquired' taste.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you's :)

Some pics:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400494593.747325.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400494606.994991.jpg

When you built the coil did you torch the mesh lots?

SS Mesh is not for everyone. There are a few people who swear by it. There are also a few people that swear at it.

Once you setup a good coil it will last ages though and give you a good flavour. They do have a 'breaking in period' which is usually a tank or two before they start tasting their best. As you vape a layer of gunk builds up on the coil which helps to insulate the mesh a bit and improves the flavour. The more torching of mesh (and putting a layer of oxidation onto it) you do when you build the coil, the shorter this breaking in time is.

Check out cotton wicked builds for a good alternative to SS Mesh.

When you built the coil did you torch the mesh lots?

SS Mesh is not for everyone. There are a few people who swear by it. There are also a few people that swear at it.

Once you setup a good coil it will last ages though and give you a good flavour. They do have a 'breaking in period' which is usually a tank or two before they start tasting their best. As you vape a layer of gunk builds up on the coil which helps to insulate the mesh a bit and improves the flavour. The more torching of mesh (and putting a layer of oxidation onto it) you do when you build the coil, the shorter this breaking in time is.

Check out cotton wicked builds for a good alternative to SS Mesh.

Hi @VaperCaper thanks for the feedback. I did indeed torch the mesh. I got it glowing red a few times before I rolled it and then I torched it some more afterwards. I can confidently say it was well and truly oxidised. I have run about 3-4ml of juice though it at the moment and I have about 1.5ml left in my current tank so I will keep at it and see how I feel afterwards. Its also nice to know its not for everyone.

I am a massive cotton fan and thats all I use now for everything I build, From Taifuns to Kayfuns and Evods to Protanks and all my RDAs too. So I shall keep at the mesh until I have run dry and then build with cotton if I am not satisfied. Thanks again :)

Lockett85
in my limited genny experience I have found that you definitely get a different taste from stainless builds.
My kracken mesh build makes juice taste "crisper" IMO and does not suit all juices
My other ss rope wick build tastes different again and both are well bedded in.
I have found they suit tobacco based flavours for me, but taste is subjective.....all I can say is they are different to cotton/silica.
This does not make a deal of sense as the coil is the same......and the tank/atty is usually made of stainless so why would the mesh/wick "taint"
the juice ?

You can get a metal taste if it develops a short, you would need to empty it and dry burn to see it. SS rope with 1 layer of mesh where the coil sits breaks in much faster then a full mesh wick, I use 2 mm in the Kraken and love it its my all day vape.

Here is a great tutorial on SS rope and micro coils for the Kraken

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have enough 'juice molecules' attached to the mesh, vape and flavour will be fine, with no metallic taste.

just rewicked kraken 2 with 7/7 2.5mm ss rope and 400 mesh top
5/6 turns 1mm x 0.1mm kanthal ribbon ....
very intense flavour, no tilting no wicking issues
House o liquid cigarillos very nice vape !!
also fitted new bedazzled tank glass (frosted)
excellent bit of kit !

Purchased a tank and the then owner build it with mesh.
Plugh i dont like metal vape and quickly gutted it, removing said offending item.

Im in no rush to try mesh again!!

Purchased a tank and the then owner build it with mesh.
Plugh i dont like metal vape and quickly gutted it, removing said offending item.

Im in no rush to try mesh again!!

I tried mesh in the Kraken. I torched it before I rolled it. tasted like "Steptoe and son" scrap yard. Never again. Cotton all the way.

Ok so who ever above mentioned hot spot i bow down to you... I drained my Kraken (that don't sound to clever... any how!) and dry burnt the heck out of it and all a sudden it appeared and whopping hot spot that I swore was not there previously. A few tweaks with a screw driver the thing is tasting a lot better. I'm not sure I'm sold on Mesh, I am a cotton lover, but so far its improved vastly. Thanks again!
sparkyjuice. Where do you purchase your SS rope?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom