What's new

Personal thoughts on the best and worst mesh Rta's?

Are we talking about Mesh as a Wick? Or Mesh as a Coil?

Are we talking about Mesh as a Wick? Or Mesh as a Coil?
My interest is based purely in mesh as a coil, Ive never used it in a wicking capacity, I'm just a straight up cotton type of a guy!

The closest I get to using any other material than cotton for wick is the steel wires in something like the Vandy vape mesh tank for the AIO or the Brunhilde, but as it ultimately ends up saturating a cotton wick I guess its not quite the same!

That's the thing with all these kind of threads. It's never simply about just one thing like the tank. There are so many variables, tank or dripper, what kind of coils/mesh what kind of cotton, how you build and wick it, what flavour/brand of juice and not to mention your own individual taste buds.

To me it's about finding the ideal complete set up that works best for you and for me right now that's the Blotto. I've really got the building and wicking down pat and I know I can keep reproducing that result and the thing is absolutely singing for me right now. As I said I'm experimenting with the X-mesh to see if it can beat the Blotto but it's gonna have to go some.

That's the thing with all these kind of threads. It's never simply about just one thing like the tank. There are so many variables, tank or dripper, what kind of coils/mesh what kind of cotton, how you build and wick it, what flavour/brand of juice and not to mention your own individual taste buds.

To me it's about finding the ideal complete set up that works best for you and for me right now that's the Blotto. I've really got the building and wicking down pat and I know I can keep reproducing that result and the thing is absolutely singing for me right now. As I said I'm experimenting with the X-mesh to see if it can beat the Blotto but it's gonna have to go some.

I have edited the title of the thread now, what I guess I was looking for was people's experiences with mesh as a rebuildable heating source. I find that mesh is not as forgiving as standard wire coils (pulse a coil at 15 watts then a strip of mesh, the coil just looks up and laughs and the mesh is looking to melt your face off!) but when a method is found, it comes into its own and the rewards can be tenfold.
Would be interesting to hear any tips or tricks people use to get the best out of their tanks. I would love to hear how, and what, people are using to get the Zeus mesh tank to perform, as I've tried and I can't get it to perform anything more than adequately.

I would love to hear how, and what, people are using to get the Zeus mesh tank to perform, as I've tried and I can't get it to perform anything more than adequately.

As I mentioned in my previous post that big thread about the Zeus X Mesh has a ton of good advice and tips. I've only read about half of it but page 4 has some great tips with photographs on how to build and wick it. Here's the link again.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...cigs/threads/geekvape-zeus-x-mesh-rta.194708/

As I mentioned in my previous post that big thread about the Zeus X Mesh has a ton of good advice and tips. I've only read about half of it but page 4 has some great tips with photographs on how to build and wick it. Here's the link again.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...cigs/threads/geekvape-zeus-x-mesh-rta.194708/
I think on reflection the issues I have with the zeus could be the fact that, along with the Themis which I also didn't like much, it has top airflow. It seems to me now when I look at it all my favourite tanks over the years, they have been bottom air flow, reinforcing the old issue of subjectivity, some people like the results from top airflow and some like results from airflow that comes up from underneath.

I think on reflection the issues I have with the zeus could be the fact that, along with the Themis which I also didn't like much, it has top airflow. It seems to me now when I look at it all my favourite tanks over the years, they have been bottom air flow, reinforcing the old issue of subjectivity, some people like the results from top airflow and some like results from airflow that comes up from underneath.

I think that's one reason why I get such great flavour with the Blotto because the coils have bottom airflow hitting the coils from 3 directions increasing the pressure between the coils making it pick up more juice. I'm using thinned down Firebolt shoelace cotton and pushing the coils apart as close to the posts as I can and the flavour and performance I'm getting is immense.

When it comes to mesh though I've only had one go at wicking the Zeus so I'm not the best person to say how to get the best from it.

I've got a couple of Unities and a couple of Zeus X meshs. I find them both very quick and easy to wick and build. I think the issue with these RTAs is that, as @MarylinC37 is discovering, while they might be able to perform consistently at a 7.5/10 level, they lack the adjust-ability that a very good regular tank will use to give 9/10 performance, when set up correctly. The example above about coil placement and airflow on the Blotto is a great case in point. Such things are just not possible on mesh decks which make them somewhat binary in my view i.e. you either get them right and enjoy your 7.5/10 vaping experience or your build is a fail. Neither has the same high ceiling as say an Advken Manta (which is cheap as chips). Of the two I think I prefer the Unity although there isn't a lot in it and they do seem to perform differently with different flavours.

I'm gonna start off by saying that my opinion here isn't really a very educated one, since I'm quite new to vaping and haven't tried too many things, but here goes.

The Zeus X Mesh is amazing, but only if you go the extra mile and use OFRF NexMesh strips. With the stock mesh strips, it always lacked something. Don't get me wrong, when it worked, it was great and then I didn't know what I was missing, but I went NexMesh and haven't looked back. You can do one of two things to use NexMesh strips instead of the Geekvape ones. First is to modify the build deck by using a Dremel or a file to remove the mesh guides from the base. Pretty easy and straightforward, but some people might be afraid of messing their tank up or aren't handy with tools. For these people, method 2 will work just fine. Take a NexMesh strip and use a nail clipper to ever so slightly trim the corners. Like, remove a square of the mesh's lattice from each corner carefully and then use the strip like you would the GV ones and you're 95% of the way there. Right now, the Zeus X Mesh is probably my favorite tank out of those I've tried, which admittedly aren't a lot.

Having said that, I had borrowed a Profile Unity from a friend for a while. I hate how it looks, but man does it vape nicely. Quite different from the Zeus X, though. I found the Unity to always be a cool vape, even after cranking the wattage. Zeus X Mesh is on the cooler side too, but not as much as the Unity. Between the Unity and a Zeus X Mesh with OFRF strips, I prefer the Zeus, if I'm honest. Flavor with some juices was better with the Profile, but mostly I preferred the Zeus. Right now, I also have a Dovpo Blotto and a Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V3 on order. The Aromamizer should be here within the week and I got the advanced kit which includes the mesh deck, so I'll give that a shot and report back. I can't see it being that great with mesh, though, as it's primarily built for regular coils. I hope I'm proven wrong. Both the Blotto and Aromamizer are supposed to be top notch, so I might be in for a treat. Sad part is the Blotto is on the slow train from China, so it'll be a while before I get to try it. Lastly, I'd also like to try the Kylin M, it's supposed to be great and, unlike the Unity, it actually is presentable.

I also got myself a Hellvape Dead Rabbit V2. Don't get one. Just don't.

Back
Top Bottom