What's new

Le Zephyr - I'm nearly there, but not quite!

jacinabox

Postman
First venture into the world of gennies, in fact a first venture into many things on my vaping journey.

I've just bought a Le Zephyr - nicely made and following a few Youtube video's I've got it up and running, but I'm having an issue with very close to dry hits. My first draw for around 3-4 seconds is just fine, I'm getting flavour from juices that were close to being binned when using regular sub tanks and coils (Atlantis/Triton) so that's a big plus for me.

I've assumed that with these dry'ish 2nd draw hits that my wicking is perhaps too tight. I've re-wicked, more loosely, and it's still happening. So, I tried wicking more tightly thinking I haven't got enough wick - no, that doesn't work.

So, lets try the collective wisdom of you more knowledgeable folk.

Currently using 8 turns of 24g Kanthal, wicked with Cotton Bacon V2 and running it bewteen 22-25w. I've got a resistance of .81 ohm, shows the same resistance on mod and tab 521. Air flow is wide open.
70VG juice - try a less viscous juice?

Is it my wicking, too tight/loose? My wicking material, as well as the CB I've got some Fibre Freaks cotton and original bend.
Mesh? That seems to be a good possible alternative though I haven't used it before - advice on what/how and where to source would be good please.

Would welcome any thoughts on coil builds, I've a selection of Kanthal and Ni80 as well as some 24/32 Clapton Kanthal.

Really would like to get the best from this tank and your guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
If making the coil on the provided rod it's possible to have too much wick for the feed hole below and so it can choke a little.
I tend to make a smaller diameter coil so as to have plenty of space for the wick.
Have you checked Vaponaute's own Youtube? I tried a variety of options in there but went back to Léo's recommended build and so it's stayed ever since.

Thank you jsixtysix for your reply.

I should've mentioned coil diameter, it's 3.5mm which is pretty close to the supplied rod diameter. I'll try a smaller diameter coil later, just wish a didn't get the 2nd draw acrid taste with the present build...!st draw is lovely!

I haven't looked at Vaponaute's Youtube - that'll be tonights viewing sorted then.

Thought's on mesh for wicking anyone, it's another little facet I'd like explore on this vaping trip. Had a look at Stealthvape and there is anything from 200 to 500 mesh available. I'm assuming (I hate assumptions!) that 200 is the finest mesh?

I've used mesh on my Le Zephr since I got it. I use a straw-in-straw, 200 outer 200sf inner. Both bits are slighter wider than their height, wrapped around the 3.7mm rod supplied. It's a sedate vape at 16 watts...

And thank you too domejunky.

So far, I've changed the wicking for looser and tighter, changed the wicking material, albeit it's differing types of cotton. I've gone for smaller coils tightly spaced and not so tight, none of which has made a significant difference.
I've also watched vaponaute's Youtube vids' and unless my "Google-Fu" is below par, I didn't really get anything too useful from there, apart from 1 part where he used mesh - would've been good if he stated size and mesh grade.

I've not dipped my feet into the world of mesh wicking, but with the frustration of not getting too much joy from cottons, now is probably the time.

I'll get some from Stealthvape (unless anyone suggests a better source) but have I picked up correctly that differing VG ratio's of juice require a different mesh grade ie finer or looser?....terminology is probably wrong, but it's a steep learning curve!

I have a 6ml Origen that I use cotton wicks in. I use Muji, Scottish rolled, but mildly, and snug but not tight in the coil and the hole...I find slightly spaced coils give a smoother vape...

my build in le zephyr is 28awg with a 2.5 ID and slightly spaced.... wrapped to about 1.2ohms (forget how many coils that actually was) it's been in there for months, no issues though, just regular old muji poked down.

I have a 6ml Origen that I use cotton wicks in. I use Muji, Scottish rolled, but mildly, and snug but not tight in the coil and the hole...I find slightly spaced coils give a smoother vape...
"Scottish rolled" there's a new one for me...had a ferret around and understand that now!

my build in le zephyr is 28awg with a 2.5 ID and slightly spaced.... wrapped to about 1.2ohms (forget how many coils that actually was) it's been in there for months, no issues though, just regular old muji poked down.
Well I'm getting somewhere useful now. Messed around with a few coils and with domejunky's scottish rolled cotton and a spaced coil running at .95 ohm... I'm not getting the dry hits!

Still going for a try with some mesh when it arrives. It's been a slightly frustrating period with the move from sub-ohm tanks to RTA's but I'm starting to taste the benefits. Very much appreciate you all chipping in with snippets of useful information and suggestions, thank you :)

A little update...

First of all, astonishingly rapid service from @stealthvape. I sent Rob an email asking for advice and received a comprehensive reply to what grade of mesh and how to make a "wick in wick" wick. I placed an order at what must be close to 4pm yesterday for some 200sf, 300 & 400 grade mesh. I was more than a little surprised to have the postie handing me a box with the stealthvape mesh. 17 hours to reach me in Scotland!
Excellent service - but then you guys probably knew that :)

So, I've had a few hours play with the art of making mesh wicks. I've tried a combination of 200sf inside wrapped with 300 and 400 outside - not at the same time! Also 200sf outside with 300/400 inside.
Rob did suggest it maybe a little challenging, he's right but I didn't expect anything else! My current efforts work after a fashion, but I'm getting hotspots and unstable coil resistance's.

I've pre-made a spaced 28g Kanthal 3mm dia coil which comes out at 1.1 ohms once fitted to the deck and burnt in, I then make the wicks, reasonably tightly and gently work them down through the coil (the wicks have been heated, juiced and quenched 4 or 5 times) I then fire the coil up and (appear) to get rid of the hot spots.
Should the wick be sitting on the base of the deck or just off it?

I'm more than happy(ish) to keep at it, but can anyone offer up any nuggets of wisdom please to help me towards vaping nirvana :)

Do you still have the metal bar that came with the Zephr? I use that for the coil - and install it. Then roll the inner on the bar (200sf), then roll the outer on top of that. I then transfer this onto a screw driver, which is 2.4mm I think, and roll it until it slides reasonably easily inside the coil. Then I do the burn and quench. Sometimes helps to cut the bottom of the mesh at a 45° angle...

Back
Top Bottom