What's new

Hot spots !!!

gazlynn

Achiever
Having chucked the nextasis clone back in the box in a rage for a wee while I've re-visited it this morning and actually got further than before and got a build in it that the ohms reader actually reads !!!

Now to my next issue... Hot spots.

The bottom of my kanthal wire coil that's caught by the screw glows like hell but once the wire hits the mesh it sort of dies. I can't get the middle of the coil to glow very much at all.

If I strumm it one more time I'll be the best guitarist in the country :)

Any tips would be gratefuly recieved.

cheers

Gaz

Having chucked the nextasis clone back in the box in a rage for a wee while I've re-visited it this morning and actually got further than before and got a build in it that the ohms reader actually reads !!!

Now to my next issue... Hot spots.

The bottom of my kanthal wire coil that's caught by the screw glows like hell but once the wire hits the mesh it sort of dies. I can't get the middle of the coil to glow very much at all.

If I strumm it one more time I'll be the best guitarist in the country :)

Any tips would be gratefuly recieved.

cheers

Gaz
Less strumming more physically moving the wire a little at a time with a screwdriver. Your coil may end up looking a little snake like rather than spring like. But it will get there.

thanks for the advice m8....

Ok onto to next question if you don't mind @eyeball kid.

I appreciate that mesh isn't a cloud chucker but I'm getting very little vapour and flavour.

Does mesh need time to bed in so to speak?

I burnt the mesh as in one of the tutorials but not 100% sure if it was enough as I was fannying around pulsing the thing that much to get rid of the hot spots I noticed that the blackened mesh was losing it's blackened sheen....

I hope this makes sense?

cheers

Gaz

Welcome to a world of frustration with gennies? and mesh...I had similar trying to sort out a Le Zephyr, thread a little bit down on here.

I cant really offer anything useful, other than the more time I spent preparing the mesh, the burning, quenching coating it with juice, setting fire to it and generally causing alarm amongst the family, the better the results! Having said that the delightful piece of French artisanal piece of work has been temporarily retired.

I had a few words of advice from Rob at Stealthvape (and others here) Use quality mesh and wire, I'm using SV's and have tried making a "straw" type wick...200 mesh rolled and then rolled in 400 mesh - also tried the other way round with no real change. However, it was much, much better than the cotton I tried at first but it's a long way from perfect. Hot spots being the biggest issue. Using spaced coils rather a tightly wrapped coil yeilded the biggest improvement with the mesh.

I'm sure with more experimenting and a lot patience I'll get there and reap the rewards...as will you, I'm sure:)

3 coil builds later a 1 smashed glass section ... Plus a load of wasted juice.... Still not very much vapour at all....

Time to leave it for a week or two again...

I'm away to nut someone :):12::)

cheers

Gaz

3 coil builds later a 1 smashed glass section ... Plus a load of wasted juice.... Still not very much vapour at all....

Time to leave it for a week or two again...

I'm away to nut someone :):12::)

cheers

Gaz
Sorry mate. had to pop out.
It does take time to bed in but should be ok from the start. Did you coat the mesh with juice.
It's one of those things that sometimes just won't go right. I've spent hours getting it to work and just when I think I've mastered it my next build is awful. Keep trying bud and when you finally get a good build don't ever change it.

The bottom of my kanthal wire coil that's caught by the screw glows like hell but once the wire hits the mesh it sort of dies. I can't get the middle of the coil to glow very much
It sounds like that end of the wire is too tight. Try releasing the tension by unscrewing the bottom screw half a turn or so, screw on gently and pulse again.

Well a couple of weeks have passed and I revisited it again, prodded and poked and did a dance around the bassa and OMG it's working :D

Now a cloud chucker it aint but the flavour is getting better by every draw and I'm a happy bunny.

I would take photos of it glowing away like a good un but I'm feked if 'm taking it apart just in case I do something to it.

Please tell me you don't have to re-wick it every week or anything like that or I will cry.

cheers

Gaz

Well a couple of weeks have passed and I revisited it again, prodded and poked and did a dance around the bassa and OMG it's working :D

Now a cloud chucker it aint but the flavour is getting better by every draw and I'm a happy bunny.

I would take photos of it glowing away like a good un but I'm feked if 'm taking it apart just in case I do something to it.

Please tell me you don't have to re-wick it every week or anything like that or I will cry.

cheers

Gaz
I missed this, but well done and congrats - I had a phase like this too! And no, you don't have to do anything except dry burn it for a while now! :D

cheers

Gaz

No need to cry Gaz. A Good Mesh Wick will last anything up to 6 months. All you need is the occasional Dry Burn and you're good to go again. Depending on your liquid of choice............. I tend to dry burn every 10 days or so if I am using mine heavily.:2thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom