What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Understanding coil calculator namely Cloud box

crunchynut

Achiever
Just wanted to pick the brains of the more experienced vapes. Im normally a single coil guy and depending on atty/juice my coils will be between 0.8 to 1.2 ohm using 28 gauge kanthal but with recent purchase and a few drippers I'd like to set up I'm wanting to duel coil. Now what's put me off in the past is the times its been taking to heat the coils up . I've been told to use cloud box app as this shows a graph of the wattage it uses to heat up the target resistance. So I've put a duel coil build in a RDA and all the info is on the screen shot of cloud box. Now what I don't understand is one I've seen the same build on YouTube and his coils were glowing nicely at 25 watts yet for me as I only grabbed a dna30 box to take to work it isn't heating that quick. Also if you look at the screen shot what I don't understand is the graph peaks at 73w but there's a box that says power range and that says 15w - 18w. So I don't understand that bit and sorry for a page of writing so in simple terms How the hell do I get my coils to heat up as fast as a single build [emoji2]
uploadfromtaptalk1424525437363.jpg

Just wanted to pick the brains of the more experienced vapes. Im normally a single coil guy and depending on atty/juice my coils will be between 0.8 to 1.2 ohm using 28 gauge kanthal but with recent purchase and a few drippers I'd like to set up I'm wanting to duel coil. Now what's put me off in the past is the times its been taking to heat the coils up . I've been told to use cloud box app as this shows a graph of the wattage it uses to heat up the target resistance. So I've put a duel coil build in a RDA and all the info is on the screen shot of cloud box. Now what I don't understand is one I've seen the same build on YouTube and his coils were glowing nicely at 25 watts yet for me as I only grabbed a dna30 box to take to work it isn't heating that quick. Also if you look at the screen shot what I don't understand is the graph peaks at 73w but there's a box that says power range and that says 15w - 18w. So I don't understand that bit and sorry for a page of writing so in simple terms How the hell do I get my coils to heat up as fast as a single build [emoji2]
View attachment 44288

Right that pic is a bit small but from what I can see the graph at the bottom is showing the wattage you get by applying a particular voltage to the atty. As for getting the coils to heat up quickly that is all down to the applied power, thicker builds and dual coils always take longer to heat up - as for the power range box, my assumption is that is arecommended firing level for that coil...

Right that pic is a bit small but from what I can see the graph at the bottom is showing the wattage you get by applying a particular voltage to the atty. As for getting the coils to heat up quickly that is all down to the applied power, thicker builds and dual coils always take longer to heat up - as for the power range box, my assumption is that is arecommended firing level for that coil...

Sorry didn't think about size of picture. Thanks for your reply I have more of an understanding now of what the chart is.
Is there a gauge wire better for duel coiling like 24 or 26 gauge rather than 28 or 30,

Sorry didn't think about size of picture. Thanks for your reply I have more of an understanding now of what the chart is.
Is there a gauge wire better for duel coiling like 24 or 26 gauge rather than 28 or 30,

I usually use 0.4 or 0.45mm wire for all my builds. Works a treat!
Far less fiddly than 0.3 or lower.

Thinner guages will always heat up faster - if you're using a mech then the guage is important but since you're firing on a DNA then the guage is less important, use thinner wires and higher resistance - about 1.6 will work spot on, you'll get better heat up time and the wattage is controlled by the box anyway. The only reason to go sub ohm on a reg box is to get into the 100w plus range with the higher power mods...

I struggled to find a compromise between a ramp up time I was happy with and a wire thick enough to make nice robust coils. So I played with the variables on this quite a bit.

The more metal you have the longer it is going to take to heat up, so thinner wire (higher resistance) helps, but so does less wraps (lower resistance). Aim to use 6-8 wraps to reach your target resistance. More can slow things down.

I also found that I got a better ramp up time with a fatter mandrel. Two setups identical resistance one built with a 2mm drill bit and the other with a 3mm drill bit. I seem to get better ramp up from the 3mm coils. I have theories that it is to do with heat transference but no science to back that up.

Back
Top Bottom