What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Titanium wire?

trouserferret

Postman
Hey all, I see the Crazy Wire Company has Gr1 Ti wire in stock. Has anyone used it or had any experience with it at all? Apologies if this has been done before, but had a search and whatnot...

Most of the stuff I've found regarding it is pretty dated (circa 2012) and just wondered if anything has changed with the sub-ohm movement. I'm aware of it's weird resistance properties when used for a bit (resistance falls in the coil) and it's propensity to flame out like magnesium if torched. I'm also aware of the Titanium Dioxide inhalation hoo-ha, but doubt very much I'd manage to get a coil to the temp required for that without plugging it into the wall.

Anyways, it's only £3.50 for 20m or so, so might just give it a punt and see how it runs. Crazy low resistance per metre, so might have to invest in a 26650 atty to fit a coil large enough in seeing as the smallest dia you can get is .7mm...

Cheers folks!

Had a quick looksee thro' the internets and found a few posts on Titanium wire.
Go for it. Sounds like it'll be a pest to work with and you'd better be damned sure of the resistance of the coils you make AND the performance limits of the kit you use it on.

post pix of build and let us here know how you get on.

Sounds like it'll be a pest to work with and you'd better be damned sure of the resistance of the coils you make AND the performance limits of the kit you use it on.

Ya, been pondering the kit thing myself. Wouldn't want to fry the board on my Sigelei with the varying resistance, so might go battery shopping for the mech. Got a shopping list together for a dual 18650 unregulated box mod, so need to buy a new pair anyhoo...

Hey all, I see the Crazy Wire Company has Gr1 Ti wire in stock. Has anyone used it or had any experience with it at all? Apologies if this has been done before, but had a search and whatnot...

Most of the stuff I've found regarding it is pretty dated (circa 2012) and just wondered if anything has changed with the sub-ohm movement. I'm aware of it's weird resistance properties when used for a bit (resistance falls in the coil) and it's propensity to flame out like magnesium if torched. I'm also aware of the Titanium Dioxide inhalation hoo-ha, but doubt very much I'd manage to get a coil to the temp required for that without plugging it into the wall.

Anyways, it's only £3.50 for 20m or so, so might just give it a punt and see how it runs. Crazy low resistance per metre, so might have to invest in a 26650 atty to fit a coil large enough in seeing as the smallest dia you can get is .7mm...

Cheers folks!

I've heard some unpleasant things about Titanium wire but I think Rob stealthvape might be your man to advise on this...

Ahh the wire that nearly was, the wire that could have been and the wire that probably won't or at least shouldn't be.

Its too springy

If it's overheated either by dry burning or torching it will burst the fuck into flames. Not in a flamey way but in a cool chemical fire kind of way not dissimilar to magnesium ribbon. They put titanium in fireworks for white sparks :D Water doesn't extinguish it I believe. In titanium workshops there are struct rules about chip and dwarf build up.

TiO2 - although we're talking about tiny amounts if the worries are significant enough to do a full recall on a brand of eliquid that used it as a colouring additive because it's so bag for lung tissue you probably don't want to deliberately risk inhaling it.

It's got a cool name though and makes everyone think of Robocop. But other than it being a cool word there's little point in using it.

Other than the fact it does seem to taste cleaner than kanthal.

I've got 30,000 metres of it still about to remind me to do more research before buying awesome sounding but risky faddy stuff.

We withdrew it shortly after it went up for sale as its probably bordering on irresponsibility selling the stuff.

If you get some torch a bit in the back garden before you use it.

Could be that the wire I had was so thin it ignited easily but a genny hot spot would probably ignite thicker wires.

I'm a big fan of the concept of Ti and was super stoked to stock it, sort of felt like I was breaking new ground as I've always been on a mission to discover new things. I just think it's a Dragon that's best left sleeping.

Perhaps it might be less of a fire and health risk in a temperature controlled mod as it won't oxidise so fast or be pushed to ignition temperatures but the challenge of its strong memory effect would have to be overcome.

There's a thread on ukv with photos of more oxide develop than you'd expect to see and in a fairly short time

Cheers, Rob. That's the kind of info I was looking for.

I had no interest in coil building when this stuff made an appearance years ago, so had no idea how it would behave under load in an atty. Was pretty interested in it, but quite wary of the negatives.

I'll mibbe just give it a miss and wait for someone else to try and harness the power of a magnesium torch for vaping purposes. Hopefully they'll post pics. I'll stick with my Kanthal and Ni-chrome for the time being.

Boring, I know. But the reason I got off the fags was so I wasn't inhaling carcinogenic fumes all day. Hope hum.

Imeo, the maker of GG mods sells titanium ready wire. I tried them and found they snapped easily but they did give a nice clean taste There's a big discussion over on ECF about them too :D

Microcig was the first factory to produce titanium coils for ce4's and cartos in 2012 not sure if they still do though. Massively underrated company that got lost in the marketing shadow of vison. They invented the filler less carto and clearos. Although strictly speaking whoever nodded their ce2's with a syringe barrel invented clearos.

Hehe titanium dwarfs... Orkward :D

Back
Top Bottom