What's new

Staple coil build

jacko

Postman
Hi all, I have been making own coils for few years now basically since the first kayfun. But only standard builds then around 8 months ago I started the more exotic builds. my claptons and fussed claptons are close to spot on so now upping my game and orderd tons of different wire to do some more complex builds, staple, framed staples, staggered and stapple staggered. My first one will be framed staple. so is it any harder to do that then it is to do a fussed clapton.

Prep work is key when doing any coil that involves ribbon wire, make sure that all the pieces of ribbon have the same tension and stacked neatly on top of each other with tape/wire securing it at each end, then its just a easy as claptoning a standard fused. Also when wrapping the coil you want the keep quite a lot of tension on the wire otherwise the ribbon can buckle and your coil ends up looking like shite.

Prep work is key when doing any coil that involves ribbon wire, make sure that all the pieces of ribbon have the same tension and stacked neatly on top of each other with tape/wire securing it at each end, then its just a easy as claptoning a standard fused. Also when wrapping the coil you want the keep quite a lot of tension on the wire otherwise the ribbon can buckle and your coil ends up looking like shite.
Thanks pal appreciate your advice. especially when ive seen your work n I have to say its incredible. Hopefully the day comes where I can build half aswell as yourself :-)

Hi all,

So this afternoon I tried to do staple build and I have no idea what im doing wrong but its just not working. I can't keep the ribbon to sit together so I started tapping it which works then also tape the frame but then once i insert it into drill atleast one starnd will come out of line. Any ideas

When moving to ribbon, remember, it can be an absolute bitch to work with, patience is key. Second is, if you just did a staple coil, you need to keep a lot of tension on the wire and have the right grip cos they naturally try to bend into the direction you're coiling.

Framed staples are better because they have the outside wires directing the coil.

Second thing I'll add is make sure you're using the right size staple wires. If you're using 0.4 ribbon, 28ga staples and around 36ga Clapton. If you're using 0.5 ribbon, use 26ga frames and maybe 34 or 32ga Clapton (Clapton wire can be whatever you like really).

Next thing, prep is key! If you don't spend at least 20 mins on this, you've done it wrong. Best bet is to get yourself a fishing spinner that will rotate with the wire. Then cut the ribbon twice as long as the coil you wanna make. Use pliers to pull on the wire a few times to release the slack. Once you have your cores, stack them one on top of the other and bend them half way. Then find your staple wire and cut a piece twice as long. Insert both lots of wire into the spinner so it's holding onto the bend. Position the staples and ribbon to form the shape of a framed staple.

Use some of your Clapton wire and wrap it around the wire at at least 3 points along the wire. This is much more secure than tape and can also be moved along the wire as your claptoning.

Begin the drill, go slowly and see how you get on. You'll be making a few before getting it right!

Check out the art of vaping on YouTube. There's a lot of info on his videos and it should put what I've said into context

Back
Top Bottom