What's new

Silly question time...

Sgt_Rock68

Initiate
I'm slowly getting better with things, but..

I've just switched tanks from Smok rba to an Augvape Merlin.
Made a nice single coil(I'm still a novice, but improving), not dual.
I'm getting a lovely vape at 30W, but ohms are a good bit higher.
My readings on R200 with 30W are 5.1 volts and 0.85 ohms.
Are these fairly typical readings, i.e. Safe, normal?
With approx half the wattage, I'm getting a similar vape as I was with the Smok(using 50'ish watts) with dual coils :)
Seems to good to be true!

(Using Kanthal A1 Clapton wire 26ga btw)

Yep safe and normal.
Parallel dual coils have half the resistance of one of the coils on its own. I worded that badly, I hope it makes sense.
And, generally, as the resistance goes down the wattage you'll use goes up

no question is silly we are all here to help where we can and offer advice my advice is if in doubt ASK someone WILL know the answer

I'm slowly getting better with things, but..

I've just switched tanks from Smok rba to an Augvape Merlin.
Made a nice single coil(I'm still a novice, but improving), not dual.
I'm getting a lovely vape at 30W, but ohms are a good bit higher.
My readings on R200 with 30W are 5.1 volts and 0.85 ohms.
Are these fairly typical readings, i.e. Safe, normal?
With approx half the wattage, I'm getting a similar vape as I was with the Smok(using 50'ish watts) with dual coils :)
Seems to good to be true!

(Using Kanthal A1 Clapton wire 26ga btw)

As you've already been told all fine and normal... :)

The 'ohms' is a measurement of resistance, the higher the ohms the more resistance ... that's resistance to the electrical current you are putting through the coil, so a 0.8ohm coil is double the resistance of a 0.4ohm coil.

It's this resistance to the current that makes the coil get hot, so with a higher resistance you need less power to heat the coil.

When you pass the current through 2 coils in parallel it halves the resistance because the current can pass though either coil (imagine 2 lanes on a motorway rather than just one single lane)

It's not too good to be true, one of the advantages of using higher resistance is you need less power to heat the coil... that is 100% true.

There are advantages to using lower resistance too (as any one who vapes lower ohms will be happy to tell you) but it's not a requirement to getting a good vape, especially on a regulated mod.

Back
Top Bottom