What's new

Now we know about gplat...

Apparently it is the same cell. The Vamped name is even referred to by the manufacturer.

I can see if being the same cell TBH but different companies selling them may price totally differently. In any case I don't disagree with you on the high priced link you posted as I think there is a touch of overvaluing going on there perhaps (to be diplomatic) but I do read a lot of stories where people see the wholesale price of items and expect that for the same money converted into Sterling it is what the sale price should be - in reality the whole import and taxation costs make any UK shelf item much more expensive.

It is also the reason that FastTech is such a PITA too as they sell at wholesale prices and free shipping that goes under HMRC's radar, something that UK vendors cannot manage to achieve.

the Japanese stuff is really rather good
got some china grass to prep. from PlumeBlu will let you know, also cotton yarn

Hey sparky how did you get on with the grass? I had a load and just given it away, I am interested in how (if you did) got rid of that taste. I boiled mine and tried all sorts but with delicate juices I could still pick up a bit of a taste and indeed a smell all it's own.
Otherwise it's really good stuff, wicks like a champ and has great structure from my experience.

Sent from somewhere inside a huge cloud!

Hey sparky how did you get on with the grass? I had a load and just given it away, I am interested in how (if you did) got rid of that taste. I boiled mine and tried all sorts but with delicate juices I could still pick up a bit of a taste and indeed a smell all it's own.
Otherwise it's really good stuff, wicks like a champ and has great structure from my experience.

honestly haven't had time to prep it yet will let you know when I do

Did you rinse it off before boiling? Some in the USA use dish soap and others like myself soak in bicarb to strip out the taste. I boil it for 15 to 20 minutes and then dry it thoroughly in the oven as leaving it to air dry makes it go a touch fusty.

I overcooked mine by 45 minutes the other day and although it lost its pure white appearance does work as expected.

It shouldn't have any smell after cleaning. If it does then it hasn't been cleaned for long enough usually.

Last edited:
Did you rinse it off before boiling? Some in the USA use dish soap and others like myself soak in bicarb to strip out the taste. I boil it for 15 to 20 minutes and then dry it thoroughly in the oven as leaving it to air dry makes it go a touch fusty.

I overcooked mine by 45 minutes the other day and although it lost its pure white appearance does work as expected.

It shouldn't have any smell after cleaning. If it does then it hasn't been cleaned for long enough usually.

Cheers for reply guys, yep I rinsed in filtered water first, then rinsed in boiled water, then boiled for 45mins in a pan, then rinsed again with filtered boiled water then left to dry on kitchen roll. Taste was much less but still there. Maybe need to try again with bicarbonate , I have the load I washed still in a bag somewhere. I would like to use this for my genny's as it makes great stiff wicks when damp and doesn't burn.

Cheers for reply guys, yep I rinsed in filtered water first, then rinsed in boiled water, then boiled for 45mins in a pan, then rinsed again with filtered boiled water then left to dry on kitchen roll. Taste was much less but still there. Maybe need to try again with bicarbonate , I have the load I washed still in a bag somewhere. I would like to use this for my genny's as it makes great stiff wicks when damp and doesn't burn.

Don't bother with filtered water, just either add a tablespoon of bicarb or a drop or two of fairy liquid (mix either in to the water well before adding the grass) for the pre wash. Boil it and then don't leave it to air dry - dry in the oven between 150 and 180 until it feels dry to touch.

Because of how it clumps up it won't air dry fast enough so the oven part is important.

Don't bother with filtered water, just either add a tablespoon of bicarb or a drop or two of fairy liquid (mix either in to the water well before adding the grass) for the pre wash. Boil it and then don't leave it to air dry - dry in the oven between 150 and 180 until it feels dry to touch.

Because of how it clumps up it won't air dry fast enough so the oven part is important.

Nice one I will give that a try, and yes oven sounds like a good idea as it took about a week to dry fully!

Back
Top Bottom