What's new

My First Clapton Attempt

fatstu

Postman
Right so I tried to make my first Clapton coil last night, might I add without a drill.

I partially straightened some 24 awg, this I think was my first mistake, twist it more next time so its straighter.

I tried wrapping 32 awg round it with some success until 2 issues occurred. First when tightening the gaps I accidently started going back up the wire so was double claptoning it!! when I unravelled the wire wasn’t as straight which caused bumps. Secondly the 32awg has a mind of it’s own and liked to kink up now and again causing the same issue.

A final nail in the coffin was that it was a tight fit in the Plume Veil, so much so after 10mins of poking around and 30 minutes or so of frustrating wrapping I gave up and binned it.

Question do these issues occur with the drill and is the Clapton really worth It as if it is I will try on 26awg.

Also some storys of similar frustration would ease my annoyance.

Right so I tried to make my first Clapton coil last night, might I add without a drill.

I partially straightened some 24 awg, this I think was my first mistake, twist it more next time so its straighter.

I tried wrapping 32 awg round it with some success until 2 issues occurred. First when tightening the gaps I accidently started going back up the wire so was double claptoning it!! when I unravelled the wire wasn’t as straight which caused bumps. Secondly the 32awg has a mind of it’s own and liked to kink up now and again causing the same issue.

A final nail in the coffin was that it was a tight fit in the Plume Veil, so much so after 10mins of poking around and 30 minutes or so of frustrating wrapping I gave up and binned it.

Question do these issues occur with the drill and is the Clapton really worth It as if it is I will try on 26awg.

Stu, if you want a Clapton, let me know and I'll knock one up for you - as long as you bring the teensy wire. I'm due you one anyway after you passed on some wire to me.

The first few times I tried to make said coils, aye, same sort of problems, but perseverance and a couple of flukes - tah Dahhhh.
I've seen someone try make one by hand and fair play they carried on beyond sanity. And a few apes have said they've tried hand made but, drill is so much easier.
Straightening the core wire does help. Having a dripper with decent post holes is also a big help!!

If you have a spare half hour this weekend, let me know and I'll try sort you out. :D

There are some right troopers around, including myself, who don't have a drill and still give it a go ;) haha! Tbh in some weird way, i actually enjoy wrapping claptons by hand, you get that sense of achievement! I use 26 with a 32 outer, fairly simple tbh man, just take your time. I didn't feel the need to straighten the 26 before hand, as long as it isn't full on tangled up.

It takes time till you get the jist of where your fingers are meant to be positioned, for what works best for you. I create a little loop in the wires to join them together so that they're tight, then twist that loop too feed the 32 on. Mine have always came up tight together with the odd gap, but every inch i do, i put some tweezers on and give it a little tension and torch it quickly, to make sure they're as snug as i can get, torching will obviously hold the shape as well, then continue.

Here's a couple pics..

a.jpgb.jpg

I think claptons will be best suited for a regulate device, as the ramp up times can be pretty slow, but nothing major.

It takes time till you get the jist of where your fingers are meant to be positioned, for what works best for you. I create a little loop in the wires to join them together so that they're tight, then twist that loop too feed the 32 on. Mine have always came up tight together with the odd gap, but every inch i do, i put some tweezers on and give it a little tension and torch it quickly, to make sure they're as snug as i can get, torching will obviously hold the shape as well, then continue.

Did exactley that, it did sort of work and I managed to have enough to do a 5 wrap single coil. Will maybe give it another go when i get a night off again.

Stu, if you want a Clapton, let me know and I'll knock one up for you - as long as you bring the teensy wire. I'm due you one anyway after you passed on some wire to me.

The first few times I tried to make said coils, aye, same sort of problems, but perseverance and a couple of flukes - tah Dahhhh.
I've seen someone try make one by hand and fair play they carried on beyond sanity. And a few apes have said they've tried hand made but, drill is so much easier.
Straightening the core wire does help. Having a dripper with decent post holes is also a big help!!

If you have a spare half hour this weekend, let me know and I'll try sort you out. :D

Cheers but mega busy over the next 3/4s weekend as a booler you never get any free time. You really hate the plume veil don't you!!!

Did exactley that, it did sort of work and I managed to have enough to do a 5 wrap single coil. Will maybe give it another go when i get a night off again.

Cheers but mega busy over the next 3/4s weekend as a booler you never get any free time. You really hate the plume veil don't you!!!

Da F-k is a 'booler'??

I like the PV as much as I like football.......:14:

Nae worries tho', gies a shout for some Clapton building when you're free.

lol bowler.

Edinburgh accent gets lost depending what part you stay in.If you can find a minute I'd be interested in seeing a Clapton coil.

Put a weight on end of 32awg just enough to stop it tangling up.

For some sad reason I actually enjoy winding claptons by hand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 92
So an update on this!

I got a drill and my word its so much freaking easier. I'd post pics but the coils are a little janky.

At 50w which is all the power I have it's a little slow on the ramp up but once it goes, flavour it's immense and it's a nice cool vape. I did have an issue again but I also found sort of solution. when pulling the coil through the post, which is still a tight fit on the freakshow mini, i started to pull the clapton off the wire, i found bending a small end back on its self stopped this(i did it before wrapping the coil as well as I had the issue at this point also). given the post holes are a sort of rectangular shape this was fine on the freakshow mini.

Waiting for a new RDA or 2 and will probably need more 32awg soon. then I might try something a bit different

Back
Top Bottom