Sub-Ohm Warning!

Readers who are building very low ohm coils must be aware of the risks in regards to batteries and inhalation.
Please read THIS POST for more information.

POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register
  1. The POTV Charity Fundraising Event for 2019 is go! Check out the prizes and make your donations here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kanthal or Ni80

Discussion in 'Cloud Chasing & Sub Ohming' started by jude27, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jude27

jude27 Postman

Hi Apes, Apologies if this question has been askled before, but what are the advantages of Ni80 over kanthal, I heard/read somewhere that you get a "cleaner " taste from the Ni80 and the ramp up is faster.
    I usually vape at around the .3 - .5 ohms mark at 40 - 50ish watts with just single core kanthal claptons (I prefer a cooler vape). on RTA's ,not stock coils but home wrapped
    I have dabbled with s/s and temp but can't get on with it. I was wondering if Ni80 would improve the quality of vape I'm getting,
    Ni80 seems to come out at a similar resistance coil to coil as kanthal , according to my inputs on steam engine.
    Any advise or pointers would be gratefully received .
    Thanks in advance

2. MrTeaTime

MrTeaTime Legend

Ni80 tends to ramp up way quicker versus kanthal. And I’m not so sure about the ohms being the same for the same as it’s kanthal equivalent. Ni80 tends to be lower

As for taste, I was convinced that I could taste SS wire until I was told that the set of coils I bought were actually SS Rather then the ni80 I thought I’d bought. So I guess it’s subjective

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. jude27

jude27 Postman

When I said similar I was working on my input into steam engine , and yes Ni80 does come out lower, but not as low as s/s 316. eg. Ni80 at 6 wraps 26 g core 32 gauge wrap 3mm id comes out at .76 (just within my range) kanthal would come out at .9 ish so lower but not waaaay lower.
    Do you find it vapes any better than good old kanthal or I am just wasting my time looking

4. burnt fingers

burnt fingers Achiever

I think it vales better and NiCr is the only wire I use now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jude27

jude27 Postman

Thanks @burnt fingers

6. speedfreek67

speedfreek67 Achiever

Flat Nichrome, or Brochrome is good.

24 gauge, 3mm inner, 6 wraps, 0.45 ohms, or 7 wraps for 0.5 ohms.

• Like Like x 1