Sub-Ohm Warning!

Readers who are building very low ohm coils must be aware of the risks in regards to batteries and inhalation.
Please read THIS POST for more information.

POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

High voltage builds

Discussion in 'Cloud Chasing & Sub Ohming' started by Andy S, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Andy S

Andy S Postman

Hi apes.
    I got a series mech as a gift so I've spent some time experimenting with building for the volts and I keep coming back to the same issue:

To keep the resistance up I'm having to build looooong coils because I don't want to use thin wire. Heavy gauge kanthal round wires work fine but I get better flavour with "Flapton" wire. Trouble is they're taking so long to cool down the wicks are burning through.
    Example: 24/32 Flapton, 8 wraps 3.5mm diameter, about 0.4 Ohm for the pair. I'm using a Phenotype-L RDA, so no shortage of air, and yet I'm burning through wicks in less than a day. I've tried wicking looser, tighter, I've tried varying the thickness of the juice. On an unwicked dry firing they take 6 or 7 seconds to stop glowing and I feel sure there must be a way to get that time down or people wouldn't use series. Spacing the wraps helps a bit but I'm limited for space on the RDA as it's a 22mm and my coils are pretty much maximum length that they can be to fit between the posts. (Incidentally I have to use a 22mm because the hybrid connection is recessed into the body of the mod and if I put anything wider on it the pin won't reach the battery)

Other than going to a single coil setup, is there anything else I can do?

2. Sacowin
  3. KytanDale

KytanDale Mod Maker

try a single larger coil and see how it goes , any way you could mount vertical ? I would try a vertical 4mm or 4.5 with wicking only down.

• Thank Thank x 1
  4. Mitz

Mitz Veteran

What's the problem with using thinner wire?

• Like Like x 1
  5. IVG
  6. mattyk2010

mattyk2010 Veteran

Was thinking the same with it only been a 22 thinner wire seems to be the only option to me

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mitz

Mitz Veteran

Personally, I think once you start going down this route in kit where resistance is super important, there's really no other option but to start building your own coils. Or, if you really don't want to build your own then purchase custom coils made to your own specifications and requirements.

Our very own master coil builder @Smut is still on hand, I do believe, should his services be required.

• Like Like x 1
  8. oldhippydude

oldhippydude Veteran

Might be worth checking out some older threads from when series mechs were cool for a short time.

Here is one that might be worth a look. https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...cigs/threads/noisy-cricket-build-issue.96849/

I will bet most contributors to that thread have moved on to other things and few have made that style of vaping an everyday thing.

My feeling is that series mechs are a minority interest for crazy bastards.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andy S

Andy S Postman

I like big, cool clouds. To get big clouds on a thin wire would be hotter than I like.

10. Andy S

Andy S Postman

No, really?

11. mattyk2010

mattyk2010 Veteran

Not if you upped the resistance slightly to compensate for the heat or went with flatware

12. Andy S

Andy S Postman

Well, I can't see it ever being my ADV, but it was free and I'm a fifth generation nerd so I'm genetically predisposed to find out what it can do. :D

• Like Like x 1