What's new

Fused Claptons advise needed please

Ni80 all the way. Kanthal will ramp up and cool much slower. With the faster ramp up of Ni80 you also end up needing to use less power.
Actually.. nichrome uses MORE power since the resistance is lower. (for identical coil builds, say 6 wrap each) See Ohms law. For identical resistances, they draw about the same power.

^ this
Lower ohms = more amps at the same wattage = more power drain.

^ this
Lower ohms = more amps at the same wattage = more power drain.
actually.. lower ohm = higher amp +higher wattage. Something you generally only need worry about with mechanical mods.
Best I can tell you is head to steam-engine.org, and build 2 virtual coils. 1 kanthal and 1 nichrome, same awg, same core diameter and same number of wraps, and not the wattage required to heat the coil to say 300 mw/mm2.
Its all connected. voltage, resistance, amps drawn and watts produced as the end result.
Voltage remains at 3.7v, so you change the resistance, which changes the amps and produces higher wattage.

Actually.. nichrome uses MORE power since the resistance is lower. (for identical coil builds, say 6 wrap each) See Ohms law. For identical resistances, they draw about the same power.
The amount of power needed is determined by more than just resistance. Your calculations totally ignore the metal's characteristics. The difference between a Kanthal coil and a Nichrome coil in resistance doesn't negate the difference in behaviour between the two coils. The difference between identical 26ga 6 wrap 3mm coils is 0.86 vs 0.65. Dual coil the difference is 0.43 vs 0.32. If you think that the 0.1 difference between those coils is more important to the required amount of power than the difference in charactericts and behaviour between the two different metals then I don't know what to tell you. Amplify it by using multi core fused claptons and see how much power you need to fire each set of coils sufficiently in practise and not in theory.

Last edited:
The amount of power needed is determined by more than just resistance. Your calculations totally ignore the metal's characteristics. The difference between a Kanthal coil and a Nichrome coil in resistance doesn't negate the difference in behaviour between the two coils. The difference between identical 26ga 6 wrap 3mm coils is 0.86 vs 0.65. Dual coil the difference is 0.43 vs 0.32. If you think that the 0.1 difference between those coils is more important to the required amount of power than the difference in charactericts and behaviour between the two different metals then I don't know what to tell you. Amplify it by using multi core fused claptons and see how much power you need to fire each set of coils sufficiently in practise and not in theory.
And that is how I did it.. in practice. When I use 6 vs 8 wraps it is kanthal vs nichrome to same resistance. For example, 0.10 ohm kanthal 6 wraps, Nichrome is 8 wraps. (can't remember wire awg, but i think it was 24awg. ) I use 0.10 because that is the common low resistance mods will fire. *some do go lower*. Mechanical Mods are a different animal, keeping within a safe CDR. Say 0.15 on a 30A high drain battery. Since kanthal has less mass at 3/4 of Nichrome, (6 vs 8) the lower mass coil will fire faster. You could also compare NiCr to SS coil. However a SS coil is massive compared to NiCr or Kanthal to meet the resistance requirement for reasonably safe vaping.
I think the belief that NiCr ramps up faster is when used on a mech mod, equally wrapped coils *6 wraps each* NiCr is about 25% lower resistance therefore puts out much higher wattage based on ohms law.
What I consider here, is using a mechanical mod, 6 wraps kanthal = 0.15ohm at 30A cdr vs 6 wraps NiCr at 40A (aprox).. above the CRD which we do not recommend. My numbers might be slightly off since I am running from memory, but they are fairly close and fine for examples.
I suppose to see this in action, you can use steam-engine.org to make 2 virtual coils of identical size, check the resistance and the watts produced. Also the heat flux required to reach vape temperature say 300mwm2. Just my findings. Remember, I will never recommend any resistance below normal CDR, unless the discussion is in an advanced forum with expert users who know how hard you can push a battery and what risks are involved.
Remember the prime directive. Vape Safe.

Back
Top Bottom