What's new

Clapton coil builds.

I've just done my first Clapton builds in both Goblin Minis, and they have overtaken my Griffin in the flavour stakes. I'm gonna have to give this making your own Clapton wire a blast soon. I've yet to try nichrome, but SS seems to have a more metallic taste to it.

Using N80 for the wrap helps tonnes, its takes the weight off the coil and makes for a very nice usable vape.
Just the same as any other material, the higher the gauge the less the ramp.

I'm gonna have to give this making your own Clapton wire a blast soon. I've yet to try nichrome, but SS seems to have a more metallic taste to it.

After a couple of kack handed frak ups and a fair few sweary words, making Claptons is relatively easy. A good drill with a reliable battery is useful!

And, aye, try the Nichrome, really good kit!! I use Mechs so Nichrome is a very useful wire to have as ramp up is far less and I can have higher gauge wire thus fatter coils with less resistance than kanthal. Woohoo!

First attempt at a fused clapton...
Feel free to chuckle!!!
uploadfromtaptalk1459523768245.jpg

First attempt at a fused clapton...
Feel free to chuckle!!!
View attachment 84815
Reet, you've done the hard bit, the cores are parallel, its coiled and there's little if any overlap. The rest is patience, slowing down and applying tension to the outer. I reckon that will vape OK, chuck it in an Atty and enjoy your work.

Did the outer separate whilst wrapping? if its taught enough its damn near impossible to make the outer slide along the cores.

Worth watching the Twisted Messes video then the Grim Green 'easy way' to do Fused Claptons.

As long as it vapes fine and doesn't have any hot spots when you are coiling then testing it, then it's a good 'un. :D

Thanks for the comments and tips. I think I need a bit of consistent tension and to slow down the speed of the drill.
Will check out tutorials!
Had a really nice section at the start as shown...
uploadfromtaptalk1459529113973.jpg

I tip my cap to @cloundcuckoo... Just installed a pair of his fused Claptons in my new mutation X v4 and WOW!!!.... They are the dogs dangly bits!! And if they last 3 or 4 months like people have mentioned there worth every penny!! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

That section there is EXACTLY how they should look. You got it dude. Rinse and repeat.

So, how do you, or do you manage to, keep the wee baskets relatively flat?
Even using the fishing swivel technique the awkward toerags for me are still as flat as a pub pool table. I usually manage to even things out when wrapping the gorram coil, but is there a way when actually 'claptoning'??

Back
Top Bottom