What's new

Clapton coil builds.

colchester 24

Postman
Have been building Claptons, 26 and 24 gauge kanthal core with 32 and 30 kanthal outer wrap variations. Ramp up time on the thicker builds is obviously longer. Would using nichrome as the core reduce ramp up time? And where does stainless steel come into this?
Thanks for any advice!

I was using claptons for a while and then tried a fused clapton build. Big improvement in flavor and the ramp up time is quicker which really surprised me.

Currently using 28 kanthal core with 32 nichrome 80 wrap. Awesome flavour, ramp up and cool down times are spot on.

Have been building Claptons, 26 and 24 gauge kanthal core with 32 and 30 kanthal outer wrap variations. Ramp up time on the thicker builds is obviously longer. Would using nichrome as the core reduce ramp up time? And where does stainless steel come into this?
Thanks for any advice!

Aye, Nichrome cored Claptons will ramp up far quicker than Kanthal cored ones. I mostly use 0.4mm NiChrome for my ones but not yet tried the 0.5mm I have kicking around.
Recently got some 0.5mm Stainless Steel and it is good stuff. Annoyingly my drill has been tempremantal so not as yet used the SS for Claptons. Ramp up with SS is quicker than Kanthal and almost on a par with Nichrome.

As there is sunshine over Leith the now, I am feeling generous, so PM me your address and I'll post off a yard or so of 0.5mm Nichrome and 316 SS for you to plighter with.

And Aye, fused Claptons are a whole new ball game, well worth the fannying about to make up!!

Then get a go of the 316 SS wire!!

Naw, don't get on with it for some reason. Always seem to give a 'dry' vapour from it, rips my throat apart. Seriously, like vaping razor blades, tried numerous types, gauges and builds..... Just given up on it.

Naw, don't get on with it for some reason. Always seem to give a 'dry' vapour from it, rips my throat apart. Seriously, like vaping razor blades, tried numerous types, gauges and builds..... Just given up on it.
Fair enough.
Glad the Nichrome is working out tho'. So damned useful in a mech!

Thanks to the generosity of @EmbraSewerRat knocked up a Dual coil 0.5 SS core with 30g Kanthal wrap Clapton.
uploadfromtaptalk1459459624952.jpg
On a noisy cricket with velocity rda. Flavour is outrageous.. clouds are too much...according to the missus!

Back
Top Bottom