What's new

Beyond the coils: the breathing part

xibxang

Postman
We've all probably seen RiP Trippers's Cloud Chasing 101 series and he's the first one to say that cloud chasing is as much about the breathing technique as it is about the build. I made a daft video for myself last night and posted it on YouTube and some kind soul made a comment to tell me about how I should be breathing from my diaphragm and not my chest.

This diaphragm tip is brand new information to me and I wondered if I could tap into the collective genius of this forum. Does anyone have tips, links and/or videos about how to inhale and exhale properly. Sure, RiP Trippers is making a series about it but I'm of the firm belief that the more information, the merrier.

So, you guys and gals (and Sith Lord @Raguri); what do we need to be learning about the breathing side of cloud chasing? Consider me an eager padawan who craves knowledge. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
We've all probably seen RiP Trippers's Cloud Chasing 101 series and he's the first one to say that cloud chasing is as much about the breathing technique as it is about the build. I made a daft video for myself last night and posted it on YouTube and some kind soul made a comment to tell me about how I should be breathing from my diaphragm and not my chest.

This diaphragm tip is brand new information to me and I wondered if I could tap into the collective genius of this forum. Does anyone have tips, links and/or videos about how to inhale and exhale properly. Sure, RiP Trippers is making a series about it but I'm of the firm belief that the more information, the merrier.

So, you guys and gals (and Sith Lord @Raguri); what do we need to be learning about the breathing side of cloud chasing? Consider me an eager padawan who craves knowledge. Many thanks in advance.

What I tell everyone, suck like a hooker, make sure every single last bit of your lungs are full. The diaphragm thing takes some practise, and there are ways to train it if you look online.

I used to play the trumpet - see, hidden talents!! LOL! - that trained me to use my diaphragm.
Basically, you're looking to expand your lower abdomen rather than just pull air into your upper chest. Brass players don't want this extra movement and they do want full control of their exhale.
So you need to practice breathing as if pulling air to your stomach area, yes, your belly should push out. Once full you can then fill your lungs and expand your chest. A kind of two stage lung flll.
It takes practice, but it's the kind of deep breathing exercise that you can do anywhere ... and great for ex smokers!

Eventually you reach the stage where a fully grown trumpet teacher can test your diaphragm by standing on your stomach.

I used to play the trumpet - see, hidden talents!! LOL! - that trained me to use my diaphragm.
Basically, you're looking to expand your lower abdomen rather than just pull air into your upper chest. Brass players don't want this extra movement and they do want full control of their exhale.
So you need to practice breathing as if pulling air to your stomach area, yes, your belly should push out. Once full you can then fill your lungs and expand your chest. A kind of two stage lung flll.
It takes practice, but it's the kind of deep breathing exercise that you can do anywhere ... and great for ex smokers!

Eventually you reach the stage where a fully grown trumpet teacher can test your diaphragm by standing on your stomach.

Oooh, where in Hampshire?
That also sounds rather painful

Many years ago, I had a P.E instructor that lined us up along the floor(toe to toe)intending to give us hell with a medicine ball(throw it at the person opposite)and to make sure we were lying flat, walked up the row opposite and down my row standing on our stomachs. When he was about5 people away, he jeered my name and jumped straight on my stomach causing me to fold like a pillow and bang my head off his thigh. :(

posted from a DIY juice cloud

Many years ago, I had a P.E instructor that lined us up along the floor(toe to toe)intending to give us hell with a medicine ball(throw it at the person opposite)and to make sure we were lying flat, walked up the row opposite and down my row standing on our stomachs. When he was about5 people away, he jeered my name and jumped straight on my stomach causing me to fold like a pillow and bang my head off his thigh. :(

I hope you punched him straight in the cock as you folded up.

Nope, it was the gym session in Detention Centre, and if I'd retaliated there was a possibility he might actually kill me(he had already hospitalised another inmate by forcing them to complete a 4 mile run with a burst appendix)

Back
Top Bottom