What's new

Are many wrapping their own Claptons?

Been wrapping my own regular Claptons and started advancing to fused Claptons, but that's as far as i can go.
No jig just steady hands and a lot of patience.

I attempted some Claptons yesterday, using the the technique with drill and swivel.
I could only produce enough for one coil and did find it frustrating!
I had trouble with the swivel not doing its job and the core wire was just being twisted until it broke.
Also feeding the outer wire on was tricky, I found it hard to keep the coils tight and it kept going back on itself!
I think it will take a bit of practice and few spools of wire but I'll get it!

I attempted some Claptons yesterday, using the the technique with drill and swivel.
I had trouble with the swivel not doing its job and the core wire was just being twisted until it broke.
Also feeding the outer wire on was tricky, I found it hard to keep the coils tight and it kept going back on itself!
You may have problems with the swivel because you're putting too much tension on the core wire.
All you need is a slight amount of tension to keep it straight.

A good method to control the surround wire is to hold the slack between you little and ring finger then control the placement with your thumb.

You better make your own
I noticed, that all wires bought here (Crazy Wire) and everywhere (Fasttech/Gearbest) are too dirty with machine oil shipped.
The only clean wires I've used so far are from Twisted Messes and Anarchist.
Always clean my wires with alcohol wipes before coil building either coming from TM/Anarchist (clean no machine oil), Crazy Wire, fasttech and gearbest (machine oil shipped).
That's why I know.
Those ready made claptons/ twisted/any fancy wire they offer, I am pretty sure, are soiled with machine oil as well.
Problem with this, you can't clean them with alcohol wipes alone.
You need to buy an ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of machine oil.
Making your own, you can easily clean each wires that you are about to use.

Stealthvape cleans his wires prior to spooling, cloudcuckoo uses stealthvape for his wire, ergo cloudcuckoo makes awesome claptons that are free from machine oil

You better make your own
I noticed, that all wires bought here (Crazy Wire) and everywhere (Fasttech/Gearbest) are too dirty with machine oil shipped.
The only clean wires I've used so far are from Twisted Messes and Anarchist.
Always clean my wires with alcohol wipes before coil building either coming from TM/Anarchist (clean no machine oil), Crazy Wire, fasttech and gearbest (machine oil shipped).
That's why I know.
Those ready made claptons/ twisted/any fancy wire they offer, I am pretty sure, are soiled with machine oil as well.
Problem with this, you can't clean them with alcohol wipes alone.
You need to buy an ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of machine oil.
Making your own, you can easily clean each wires that you are about to use.
What about using a degreaser solution? That's what we use at work to remove machine oil from parts. A quick dry burn and should be ready to go.

Stealthvape cleans his wires prior to spooling, cloudcuckoo uses stealthvape for his wire, ergo cloudcuckoo makes awesome claptons that are free from machine oil
No disrespect to cloudcuckoo, he's a skilled and trusted coil builder.
What I meant was the one sold by company's like Youde, Gearbest, fasttech etc.

No disrespect to cloudcuckoo, he's a skilled and trusted coil builder.
What I meant was the one sold by company's like Youde, Gearbest, fasttech etc.
No offence taken dude, indeed you're right a lot of wire is just plain filthy, as no doubt their Ni200/Ti - the stuff you can't burn the shit off.

@stealthvape 'baths' all his wire and its clean as a whistle, in one week i ran over a mile of it through my fingers with barely a trace of anything. Great stuff.

Bin the swivels dude, never uses them - not even for aliens etc. Every coil i buil i make enough for just one coil, its the easiest way to do it. I'll make a new video (theres an old one i did somewhere) showing the quickest way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom