What's new

wooden box questions

robertgoldring

Achiever
Hey there buildy box type persons,

Just looking at building a timber box for my next mod, but am unsure on a few things, so could do with a little advice, its gonna be dual 18650 raptor build, with either a fdv or ocd 510,
So, what's gonna be best timber thickness, hard or softwood, I want it to be sturdy but not stupidly heavy, would I be best constructing or routing,

Oh yeah, its gonna be a coffin ,

Hey there buildy box type persons,

Just looking at building a timber box for my next mod, but am unsure on a few things, so could do with a little advice, its gonna be dual 18650 raptor build, with either a fdv or ocd 510,
So, what's gonna be best timber thickness, hard or softwood, I want it to be sturdy but not stupidly heavy, would I be best constructing or routing,

Oh yeah, its gonna be a coffin ,

Unless you're a master carpenter I'd suggest using a router, I've done a little carpentry in my time and frankly I'm crap at it, the wood always fights back!
Getting good tight joints at an angle (English style coffin) would be difficult, Squared corners (US Style Casket) would be easier, another factor to remember is that any joint is a weak spot - so the fewer the better...

Unless you're a master carpenter I'd suggest using a router, I've done a little carpentry in my time and frankly I'm crap at it, the wood always fights back!
Getting good tight joints at an angle (English style coffin) would be difficult, Squared corners (US Style Casket) would be easier, another factor to remember is that any joint is a weak spot - so the fewer the better...

Yeah I think you might be right there, Tubbyengineer , I'm going for the "toe pincher" so it would be quite awkward, I'm ok at joinery, but id say more rough work than carpentry, so what kinda thickness should I be looking at leaving behind

Yeah I think you might be right there, @Tubbyengineer , I'm going for the "toe pincher" so it would be quite awkward, I'm ok at joinery, but id say more rough work than carpentry, so what kinda thickness should I be looking at leaving behind

Wood always fights bach with me, but I'd imagine 4 or 5 mm would be a minimum, it depends on the wood...

Wood always fights bach with me, but I'd imagine 4 or 5 mm would be a minimum, it depends on the wood...

I think its going to have to be a hardwood, so I can keep thickness to a minimum but also keep as much strength as possible, I reckon my main problem will be dressing the end grain in a way that will look good but also hold the 510 securely, once o route out the insides, the top will become quite fragile,

I tried to make a box from Brazilian Mahogany(remains of coffee table made at school)which is 11mm thick.The result wasn't to large when wrapped around the lipo cells,just couldn't get the various joins to sit straight so bought a couple of ready made boxes.The ready made boxes have 6 mm walls and stood beside my Beast box,look very dinky. :P

How about using veneer? I skinned some little speakers in burr maple and they looked lovely.

As an after thought, could I use
A. Pine glued up at 90degrees, like a butchers block, then routed, would remove end grain at the 510
B. Mdf, structurally sound but a sod to glue up and finish
C. Ply, again structural sound, easier than mdf to glue , but not cheap,

I have mdf and pine 3x2 lying about

Why bother building one out of pieces? I think a better / easier idea is to use a block of wood and hollow it out, then cap it.

Back
Top Bottom