What's new

what ohms can 16awg wire take

stuartd

Veteran
was wondering what would be the lowest ohms 16awg wire would take as i built a box mod using 16awg wire for the battery connections and 18awg wire for everything else and want to make sure i don`t hurt myself.

i will say i have used a 0.5 ohm coil on it with no heating up or anything like that but like ive said i want to make sure everything will be ok if i decided to go lower say 0.3 ohms thanks for any help

was wondering what would be the lowest ohms 16awg wire would take as i built a box mod using 16awg wire for the battery connections and 18awg wire for everything else and want to make sure i don`t hurt myself.

i will say i have used a 0.5 ohm coil on it with no heating up or anything like that but like ive said i want to make sure everything will be ok if i decided to go lower say 0.3 ohms thanks for any help

Wire length and quality of connections plays a big part.

This may be of some use?
American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire breaking strength

As Loco said, it's all down to wire lengths. I use 2.5mm² stranded (roughly 14AWG).

You're best off looking at an Ohms law Calculator and working out what sort of Amp load you're pushing through as it's not the Ohms (resistance) you need to be worried about, it's the current (Amps). For example a 0.5Ω coil on a Parallel box at 3.5v (roughly what it is under load) is 24.5w at 7A. You're quite safe going down to 0.2Ω coil on that Voltage and Wire Gauge as it's only 17.5A. If it's a Series Box, under load it's about 6.8v, which on a 0.5Ω coil is ~92w at 13.6A, I wouldn't really advise going below 0.4 with that gauge wire on a Series.

As @Loco said, it's all down to wire lengths. I use 2.5mm² stranded (roughly 14AWG).

You're best off looking at an Ohms law Calculator and working out what sort of Amp load you're pushing through as it's not the Ohms (resistance) you need to be worried about, it's the current (Amps). For example a 0.5Ω coil on a Parallel box at 3.5v (roughly what it is under load) is 24.5w at 7A. You're quite safe going down to 0.2Ω coil on that Voltage and Wire Gauge as it's only 17.5A. If it's a Series Box, under load it's about 6.8v, which on a 0.5Ω coil is ~92w at 13.6A, I wouldn't really advise going below 0.4 with that gauge wire on a Series.

all check that out and it a paralell box i biult iam not really into series box`s for the reasons you stated above.

also when you put the voltage into the ohms law calc would the voltage be for a fresh battery i.e 4.2v`s as when i done that with a 0.2 ohm coil it came up as 21 amps and 88 watts and then when i tried it with a 0.5 ohm coil at the same v`s it comes out at 8.4 amps and 35w`s

Last edited:
all check that out and it a paralell box i biult iam not really into series box`s for the reasons you stated above.

also when you put the voltage into the ohms law calc would the voltage be for a fresh battery i.e 4.2v`s as when i done that with a 0.2 ohm coil it came up as 21 amps and 88 watts and then when i tried it with a 0.5 ohm coil at the same v`s it comes out at 8.4 amps and 35w`s

Always work to the highest theoretical load, that way you have a bit of wiggle room even if you don't design in any spare capacity...

Ok, the voltages I gave were the batteries under load, not at rest. IE when you're firing the mod, which are more true to what you'll be getting.

Always work to the highest theoretical load, that way you have a bit of wiggle room even if you don't design in any spare capacity...

Ok, the voltages I gave were the batteries under load, not at rest. IE when you're firing the mod, which are more true to what you'll be getting.

it was only after i switched my puter off that my mind worked out what you meant by the 3.5v load. so if i put the tank on a mod and fire it to see what voltage is being taking of the battery and then put that into the ohms law thingy it weill give me a better idea as to what the box mod would roughly take of the battery volt wise then so if i used a fresh batt and it took off say 0.40-0.80 v`s i would deduct that and so on for when the battery is getting low then i can work out the amps it would be putting through the wires

it was only after i switched my puter off that my mind worked out what you meant by the 3.5v load. so if i put the tank on a mod and fire it to see what voltage is being taking of the battery and then put that into the ohms law thingy it weill give me a better idea as to what the box mod would roughly take of the battery volt wise then so if i used a fresh batt and it took off say 0.40-0.80 v`s i would deduct that and so on for when the battery is getting low then i can work out the amps it would be putting through the wires

You really only need to worry about fresh batteries as that's when the load will be greatest.

Back
Top Bottom