What's new

The 3d printing thread

Our prototype showed up today, the Bootlegger. Going to do a few tweaks to it but all in all my buddy is quite happy with it.

Dwu4Cnampf4uOeckFiPEJAcr1pbmcFVb9DBCavnB2-8=w390-h220-no

C_mu4DKH5oKk4i1__d9Nd8E7osM7i2duTcJc5Cs-R5I=w426-h757-no

Resurrection! Just as a heads up, I have a 3D printer coming myself. It's mainly to churn out sleds for my mods, however I'll probably be offering print services once I've got stuff sorted.

Resurrection! Just as a heads up, I have a 3D printer coming myself. It's mainly to churn out sleds for my mods, however I'll probably be offering print services once I've got stuff sorted.

Welcome to the dark side!!!

What printer have you got coming?

Welcome to the dark side!!!

What printer have you got coming?

Just a generic CTC, I mean I know I'm gonna have to tweak it, but it's just something to get me going. Somehow I forsee a bank of 2-3 of these at some point.

Just a generic CTC, I mean I know I'm gonna have to tweak it, but it's just something to get me going. Somehow I forsee a bank of 2-3 of these at some point.

Strong chose, was considering one myself, but decided to sacrifice duel extruder's for a steel frame and larger print bed.

I would really consider looking into an acrylic windows upgrade for that model of printer if your going to be using it for ABS/high temp plastics for vape gear (this will give you considerably better layer adhesion and and stop the part from lifting off the bed at the corners as they cool too fast and can curl up warping the print) and help with the warping of the wooden frame, meaing you will have to level the bed less often.

But first you will also have to have a serous think about a print bed upgrade, you just cant get good ABS prints on the aluminium bed it will come with.

First thing is a sheet of Borosilicate Glass, this is a absolutely flat surface (extremely important in 3D printing for bed levelling, and first layer adhesion).

Then you have to decide what surface you will use on that glass to help the ABS stick to it (the number one problem printing ABS), your choices will be one of/or a combination of:

PET tape
Kapton tape
ABS Juice (a mix of acetone and ABS filament)
Glue stick (like uhu glue stick)
Hairspray (only some types work, but the ones that do work REALY well)
PEI aka Polyetherimide sheet (this is what I use, and it works so well with ABS and unlike all the other options above it doesn't need replacing or reapplying every few prints, just a quick clean with isopropyl alcohol).

Apologies if you know all this, but guess someone else could find it helpful.

Strong chose, was considering one myself, but decided to sacrifice duel extruder's for a steel frame and larger print bed.

I would really consider looking into an acrylic windows upgrade for that model of printer if your going to be using it for ABS/high temp plastics for vape gear (this will give you considerably better layer adhesion and and stop the part from lifting off the bed at the corners as they cool too fast and can curl up warping the print) and help with the warping of the wooden frame, meaing you will have to level the bed less often.

But first you will also have to have a serous think about a print bed upgrade, you just cant get good ABS prints on the aluminium bed it will come with.

First thing is a sheet of Borosilicate Glass, this is a absolutely flat surface (extremely important in 3D printing for bed levelling, and first layer adhesion).

Then you have to decide what surface you will use on that glass to help the ABS stick to it (the number one problem printing ABS), your choices will be one of/or a combination of:

PET tape
Kapton tape
ABS Juice (a mix of acetone and ABS filament)
Glue stick (like uhu glue stick)
Hairspray (only some types work, but the ones that do work REALY well)
PEI aka Polyetherimide sheet (this is what I use, and it works so well with ABS and unlike all the other options above it doesn't need replacing or reapplying every few prints, just a quick clean with isopropyl alcohol).

Apologies if you know all this, but guess someone else could find it helpful.

Yeah, I've done a fair whack of research.. was looking at Kapton and Pritt stick to start off with. Main upgrade I'm looking at first is really the Y axis drive bar as it doesn't have enough support so can warp. Just a few prints and a few cheap bearings and it's sorted. I'll prob just get some Perspex for the sides and front once I've got stuff up and running.

Back
Top Bottom