What's new

The 3d printing thread

I have been having a bit of a play with the 3D printer recently and trying a few different things to see how they would come out:

1) 50w single 18650 - Water transfer and coated in clear coat - printed buttons.
vb1.jpg

2) 50w Dual 18650 - old watch cogs set back and then incased with clear resin - buttons are old watch winders.
vb2.jpg

3) 75w TC single 18650 - printed with Bamboo wood, stained and clear coated - laser etched images and old watch winders for buttons.
vb.jpg

I am still not brave enough to attemp the DNA200 Lipo I want to do yet but quite happy with how these have come out so far.
I love the watch parts mod [emoji106]

I have been having a bit of a play with the 3D printer recently and trying a few different things to see how they would come out:

1) 50w single 18650 - Water transfer and coated in clear coat - printed buttons.
vb1.jpg

2) 50w Dual 18650 - old watch cogs set back and then incased with clear resin - buttons are old watch winders.
vb2.jpg

3) 75w TC single 18650 - printed with Bamboo wood, stained and clear coated - laser etched images and old watch winders for buttons.
vb.jpg

I am still not brave enough to attemp the DNA200 Lipo I want to do yet but quite happy with how these have come out so far.
Awesome

Hey everyone, whats the chances of me getting something like this printed. This is a clay model i have been playing with and i fink its about time i put my foot down. I was looking at going to shapeways but i don't have a clue about cad drawings, could some point me in the right direction please. Where the big cut out is i will be putting a fdv 18650 battery tube.

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1466310215.707261.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1466310234.525076.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1466310247.526770.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1466310260.432221.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1466310284.052890.jpg

@m6474n as you have put some work into making a clay version, maybe its worth considering using it to make a mould and casting it in resin.

Might require a bit more finishing etc, but could result in something rather special.

Hey everyone, whats the chances of me getting something like this printed. This is a clay model i have been playing with and i fink its about time i put my foot down. I was looking at going to shapeways but i don't have a clue about cad drawings, could some point me in the right direction please. Where the big cut out is i will be putting a fdv 18650 battery tube.

I'm with @Loco on this one. If I did this, I'd be quoting £20/hour design time, with at least 6 hours to get the CAD right. You're then looking at test prints to make sure everything prints correctly, which would probably be around £15-20 a test. At this point you're looking at £140 without a finished part. The final print will probably set you back £30-40 if you want a low layer height and high infill.

There's a lot more that goes into 3D Printing and Design than people realise. I get asked for one-off sleds which are all well and good when working from a base design, but with a minimum charge of an hour's design time and then the test prints, it all mounts up. A £3.50 retail sled then becomes a £30 one-off sled. With the point you've got it to, you're probably better off getting it cast and working it from there, it'll probably work out a lot cheaper.

this 3D printing is getting really interesting, keep up the good work!

Old thread, I know but bollocks to it! No point starting a new one when there has been so much good info here already :D

I'm thinking of jumping into the world of 3D printing and was hoping you clever peeps might be able to give me some advice. I'm thinking of possibly starting a new business/hobby/thing depending on how the prototype comes together, making affordable ultrasonic record cleaning machines and it seems to me that 3D printing might be the best option for making supports for the motor/spacers and various other small parts. There is nothing that needs any great detail, more solid basic functional doobries. But I don't want to spend too much for something that might end up being a crap idea. So I've been looking at a cheap Prusa i3 kit from eBay. Building the kit to a high standard of accuracy ain't a problem as the OH builds much bigger machines for a living and relies on absolute accuracy but I just wasn't sure if the actual quality of the printing was usable. It seems these kit based printers also seem the best for pimping out and tweaking. Or is there something else I should be looking at (with a bit of saving up!)?

Got an i3 here, not done a huge amount with it, but seems like you could get some decent prints off of it with a few modifications, most of which you can actually print from the printer itself anyway. Basically additional braces, there's a bracket set you can print to build an enclosure for it from either ply or acrylic, improved fan mounts to improve the cooling on the head and shield it from the air movement as it moves across the bed. A new mount for a part that the original mount can rub one of the drive belts and things like that. I basically got mine ran a few prints then had to put it away to make room for family that were staying with us over the summer and haven't found the room to get it out again since they left. If you do go for it, get a glass bed it's supposed to help the print quality no end, but be aware it's not a quick machine at all. A bed full of small parts is gonna be an overnight print at least.

Back
Top Bottom