What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

SX350J Box Mod Idea

BaDaBooM

Mod Maker
A lot of people are going to say its a zero mod rip and I can agree to some degree. The zero mod design is really cleaver and I'm pretty impressed with it. My mod will be made using different materials and the body will be made out of machined billet aluminium instead of flat bar that has been bent like the zero mod. Using flat bar is really cleaver as you get minimal martial waste and it is really cheap, so why use billet block of aluminium that is way more expensive and it takes a lot longer time to machine? On the face of the mod I want rounded edges and I like standing at the mill :)

I also wanted to use a FDV 510 and a battery holder so its easy to swap batteries + if anything breaks its easy to swap out components.

For the firing button I was thinking of using SS fake earring studs and a tactile switch, same thing for the wattage buttons but Ill use the tact switches on the SX350J chip.

Don't really have any good ideas on how to make the cover yet, Ill have to experiment a little to see what will work.

I don't have SX350 mini or a SX350J chip yet so I don't have the real dimensions so some changes might have to made. Because everything is on the chip like the usb and buttons its going to be hard to machine the body so all the cutout holes lineup with the chip.

Like to hear what everybody thinks and what improvements that cold be made.

Wattage buttons are wrong in this rendering.
EDs6OOY.png

ab6cB8p.png

7qe84I8.png

QZ2hCMw.png

9cr9KyC.png

41ohsNI.png

pllPNjV.png

Last edited:
Those little dome buttons cheese me off!, could they be made with flat faces? Possibly from SS or Alu rod (If you could turn or mill the rod so there is a retaining flange - think Top hat shaped. Other than that possibly a Lighted fire button - I like pretty lights...:lol1:

Oooh and I haven't given up on that mod Idea - just not had the Time, money or frankly motivation to play around with the EL Wire and circuitry. I will get around to it at some point - soon... ish...:grin2:

Last edited:
Those little dome buttons cheese me off!, could they be made with flat faces? Possibly from SS or Alu rod (If you could turn or mill the rod so there is a retaining flange - think Top hat shaped. Other than that possibly a Lighted fire button - I like pretty lights...:lol1:

Thanks for the feedback Tubbyengineer.

If you look at pic 3 from the top down you can see the the wattage buttons have been changed. I should add links to the components I'm thinking of using.

For the buttons Ill use these 1 PAIR 2PCS MENS BLACK SILVER BARBELL PUNK GOTHIC STEEL EAR STUDS EARRINGS BC4K | eBay 12-10mm for the firing button and 5mm for the wattage buttons. Got to thank bigwhiterabbit on here for the idea.

Thanks for the feedback @Tubbyengineer.

If you look at pic 3 from the top down you can see the the wattage buttons have been changed. I should add links to the components I'm thinking of using.

For the buttons Ill use these 1 PAIR 2PCS MENS BLACK SILVER BARBELL PUNK GOTHIC STEEL EAR STUDS EARRINGS BC4K | eBay 12-10mm for the firing button and 5mm for the wattage buttons. Got to thank bigwhiterabbit on here for the idea.

Argggghhhhhh, I didn't even notice! Yep that's exactly the kind of look I'd prefer, much more comfortable too. If the SX350J is the Yihi temp control board I may just be tempted into Lashing out one of these little wonders...

For forming the cover I'd go with a wooden jig knocked up out of some 2x2, with a slot in the base to stick the plate in and a wooden dowel (Curtain pole) of the appropriate diameter you can then simply roll the whole contraption over on a board to form the curved edge, and it shouldn't cost brewsters to make...

I think its fecking awsome. I'd honestly only change one think and its far from important . Inside next to the chip , I'd have a small removable panel to enclose the chip. Almostlike the back of a tv remote.

Argggghhhhhh, I didn't even notice! Yep that's exactly the kind of look I'd prefer, much more comfortable too. If the SX350J is the Yihi temp control board I may just be tempted into Lashing out one of these little wonders...

For forming the cover I'd go with a wooden jig knocked up out of some 2x2, with a slot in the base to stick the plate in and a wooden dowel (Curtain pole) of the appropriate diameter you can then simply roll the whole contraption over on a board to form the curved edge, and it shouldn't cost brewsters to make...

The cover is my biggest hurdle, I was thinking of making a mold and forming acrylic with heat.

The cover is my biggest hurdle, I was thinking of making a mold and forming acrylic with heat.

I spent a little while working for a company that made custom gauges and one of the things I did there was to make the domed fronts, that was for small bespoke runs - I used a simple brass plunger and an old gauge body, heated the Acrylic (3mm Plexiglass in that case) with a heat gun and just pressed the plunger in. No doubt a similar thing would work for you, just create a curved mould and a die (Same curtain pole) heat the middle bit over the mould, press down with the die and bingo - curved panel. The roller forming idea would also work just as well with softer metals like brass and Alu and you could do painted, polished or patina versions

The roller forming could probably be achieved by modifying a wall mounting toilet roll holder!:grin2:

Last edited:
Absolutely love it the button idea is genius , you sir are my new superhero I want to be you lol . All the best:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom