What's new

Spray painting 3D printed mods, anyone done it?

Working on my latest 3D printed mod, thing is I don't like the plastic finish so I'm considering sanding it down and spray paining it.

I've tried spraying Billet Box panels with Plasticoat but that turned out a failure as it peels off really easy, Truck Bed Liner worked well but I don't like that style of finishing so looking to use auto paint, I've sprayed some Bantam Box panels last year and they have lasted well with no scratches or chips so far but I don't grip it on any curved edges.

So before I consider fully it, has anyone tried it successfully on a plastic body mod?

So far only thing that lasted a bit for me is a Bed Liner,also did a automotive spray with laquer spray afterwards and just laquer,but didn't last long.
What about colored resin coating,it worked well with your panels?

So far only thing that lasted a bit for me is a Bed Liner,also did a automotive spray with laquer spray afterwards and just laquer,but didn't last long.
What about colored resin coating,it worked well with your panels?
Resin coating needs flat surfaces to settle onto so no good for shapes unfortunately

Working on my latest 3D printed mod, thing is I don't like the plastic finish so I'm considering sanding it down and spray paining it.

I've tried spraying Billet Box panels with Plasticoat but that turned out a failure as it peels off really easy, Truck Bed Liner worked well but I don't like that style of finishing so looking to use auto paint, I've sprayed some Bantam Box panels last year and they have lasted well with no scratches or chips so far but I don't grip it on any curved edges.

So before I consider fully it, has anyone tried it successfully on a plastic body mod?

Not tried it on a mod, but many years ago I got hold of some second hand bull bars for the Shogun I was driving at the time.

Trouble was the plastic coating on the steel was scuffed, chipped, and a couple of bits with rust on.
I brought some "plastic primer" (I think it came from Homebase back then, but that was donkeys years ago) then sprayed them with automotive matt black.
Looked great for the next few years I had it for.

Try some of the hobby shops for plastic primer.

Another possibility would be the Humbrol enamels that are used for model planes, trains, etc. That used to be as tough as fuck.

www.amazon.co.uk/DECO-COLOR-TRANSPARENT-IMPROVES-ADHESION/dp/B06XY5LSTN/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+primer&qid=1599703143&sr=8-17
upload_2020-9-10_3-1-0.png

Tried epoxy resin by applying it with a little piece of sponge. Not a nice surface. Kind of uneven. My guess is that surface tension does not let it flow around the edges. Another thing could be to use more so that it flows just by weight pulling.
Now I'm working with acrylic paint with a few thin coats, then acrylic clear coat. Few thin coats also to make it nice.

Back
Top Bottom