What's new

Showcasing "Corey" a hybrid stabwood 18650 clickfet squonker for @chris K

vapesmarter

Mod Maker
@Chris K sent me a mail over a squonker I was in a thinking mood when he messaged so I laid it on a little thick ho hum

creation is holding the mirror up to nature

so for me making a mod is an extension of that creation part it's not in my mind, a mod it's more personal it's not about money it's more about me and what I produce.

I'm told I should charge more "that's worth £300 £350" to me when the mod is finished its worth nothing its a mod but at the start when I look at the idea when the customer gets "yeah I can do that" i have in my mind the finished mod, in my hand I can see it, the tricky bit is making that image

on this occasion, @Chris went away and picked up on the idea straight away. in fact, he may have had a think and looked something that gave meaning. this is my interpretation.

many years ago before I made stuff my tutor told me to in effect before I even touched a tool or a file, a saw, a sizer etc. to lock my self up in a room and study what was deep down, what I really wanted and when I had looked, it was then time to pick up a tool and create something that had purpose.

so

DVD

Runaway Jury

Rankin Fitch: You think your average juror is King Solomon? No, he's a roofer with a mortgage. He wants to go home and sit in his Barcalounger and let the cable TV wash over him. And this man doesn't give a single, solitary droplet of shit about truth, justice or your American way.

IMG_6297.jpg

this is the block, there are a lot of colours in this I added a few extra bits to the cast but the base is black which in turn reacted quite a lot with each other colour. no Etsy or eBay far east here, this is my resin, my colours and my wood grown, cut stored, dried by me here.

IMG_6345.jpg

lots of drilling shaping going on here, all by hand on this occasion I just let it flow i didn't use a gauge just went with it.

IMG_6352.jpg

I've cut the block, at the time I had another modmaker friend turn up and ask me, was I going to pull this one back he thought I had overcooked the mod I still wasn't sure at the time either so swapped to another order

after a week, I went back and we have...

IMG_6374.jpg

"Corey" is @Chris K doggy and he is a BIG dog I met him and so did Alfie (if my memory serves me well)

IMG_6375.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

but a personal mod needs a personal touch.

IMG_6378.jpg

so "Corey" has his name on the top plate hand engraved not etched or with a dremel by hand and I mean by hand with an engraver

IMG_6377.jpg

is it my best yet? naaaaa each mod is personal its a relationship between me and the customer next month I won't even remember it but I know @Chris K will and that is worth more money than the mod is worth

next time

coco

Indiana

or something else

love my mods? thinking about xmas and all those crappy soaks well like them get the cash not the soaks and....buy one

Last edited:
Thank you @vapesmarter I absolutely love it.

Corey's name engraved makes it extra special to me. I can look at the entire mod and it reminds me of him, colour, even shape. Exactly what I wanted and more.

Thank you again.

Me being tired lost sight of the build in fact it’s an 18650

Tubes look all the same in the end

I've had my first full day with 'Corey Mod' today and got to say, I love him!

Extremely ergonomic, feels very natural in the hand. Is surprisingly lightweight, engraving is perfect, I mean absolutely perfect.

Now... There is one thing that has confused me, it's not a negative at all but I wonder if @vapesmarter could assist without giving away any trade secret!

When I unboxed him this morning, the black resin was black, jet black. Had a very slight undertone of silver with a slight fleck of bronze but was extremely black. As the day has gone on and the light has faded, turning on lights in house, it appears to have changed. Now the black is far less prominent and the silver/grey/bronze has popped through and it looks just amazing, the black has faded into a background colour and the silver is now prominent with a brown/bronze tinge to it. Stu seems to have made a mod that changes throughout the day! I must ask... Stu... Are you a wizard?

I've had my first full day with 'Corey Mod' today and got to say, I love him!

Extremely ergonomic, feels very natural in the hand. Is surprisingly lightweight, engraving is perfect, I mean absolutely perfect.

Now... There is one thing that has confused me, it's not a negative at all but I wonder if @vapesmarter could assist without giving away any trade secret!

When I unboxed him this morning, the black resin was black, jet black. Had a very slight undertone of silver with a slight fleck of bronze but was extremely black. As the day has gone on and the light has faded, turning on lights in house, it appears to have changed. Now the black is far less prominent and the silver/grey/bronze has popped through and it looks just amazing, the black has faded into a background colour and the silver is now prominent with a brown/bronze tinge to it. Stu seems to have made a mod that changes throughout the day! I must ask... Stu... Are you a wizard?

Not telling

But the mod will change a lot is down to light some is down to heat

But colour is not on the surface it reflects about 2mm to 3mm under the surface so the main colour if I remember Is a flat black but you have a silver a bronze a pearl black and a pearl white in there somewhere plus I may have put a flip or candy in, it will reflect in different light I have noticed on other mods the colour will move about

I could say it’s my pure super skill in making but If you asked liz she would say “naaa he’s a piss artist”

Playing with colour is very hard , sometimes I’m way off, sometimes I’m spot on at other times but it’s down to when the mod was made summer mods for me were better for bright light colours as I can see the mix better, darker mods in the winter because I’m grumpy cold fed up in a dark mood yours was done on the cusp

Not telling

But the mod will change a lot is down to light some is down to heat

But colour is not on the surface it reflects about 2mm to 3mm under the surface so the main colour if I remember Is a flat black but you have a silver a bronze a pearl black and a pearl white in there somewhere plus I may have put a flip or candy in, it will reflect in different light I have noticed on other mods the colour will move about

I could say it’s my pure super skill in making but If you asked liz she would say “naaa he’s a piss artist”

Playing with colour is very hard , sometimes I’m way off, sometimes I’m spot on at other times but it’s down to when the mod was made summer mods for me were better for bright light colours as I can see the mix better, darker mods in the winter because I’m grumpy cold fed up in a dark mood yours was done on the cusp

You really got this one spot one for me Stu!

The colour has subtlety altered through the day, it hasn't left my hand much. Two mad dogs running around means he wasn't put on the table at all!

I'm mightly impressed, didn't know a colour shifting mod was even possible, you've shown I was wrong.

Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom