What's new

PWM mods

mattgough

Mod Maker
Just wanted to hear from anybody who has made a pwm mod if pos. Am I understanding right thet these chips basically restrict the volts using pwm? So if you have a 2 series battery you can output anywhere up to 8.4v?

Chips like a DNA will buck or boost the voltage, but a pwm just let's let go lower than what ever your battery outputs?

And am I right in thinking that they don't actually regulate, more restrict, eg you can set it to a percentage of the voltage, so as voltage drops you will notice (but obviously you can turn it up if it's not on max). Eg if you have 2s battery at 50%, you get 4.2v to start which drops to around 3v as the battery dies.

Just wandering if I'm on the right track here or if I've got things mixed up. Cheers

Just wanted to hear from anybody who has made a pwm mod if pos. Am I understanding right thet these chips basically restrict the volts using pwm? So if you have a 2 series battery you can output anywhere up to 8.4v?

Chips like a DNA will buck or boost the voltage, but a pwm just let's let go lower than what ever your battery outputs?

And am I right in thinking that they don't actually regulate, more restrict, eg you can set it to a percentage of the voltage, so as voltage drops you will notice (but obviously you can turn it up if it's not on max). Eg if you have 2s battery at 50%, you get 4.2v to start which drops to around 3v as the battery dies.

Just wandering if I'm on the right track here or if I've got things mixed up. Cheers
You're half right. They provide whatever voltage is in the battery, but switch it on and off very fast. 20khz or more in the case of the Big Al boards. This feels like the volts have been restricted, but you should build as if you were vaping a unregulated series box. You are correct thought that the vape will drop off as the batteries run down, but you can just turn them up a bit...

You're half right. They provide whatever voltage is in the battery, but switch it on and off very fast. 20khz or more in the case of the Big Al boards. This feels like the volts have been restricted, but you should build as if you were vaping a unregulated series box. You are correct thought that the vape will drop off as the batteries run down, but you can just turn them up a bit...
Thanks, Big Als ipwm board is the one that I was looking at, have you used it at all?

I've got a few pwm mods, very simple and great but you do build for series (so bottom out at around 0.3/0.4)

Big als boards are good and have a few features like click to lock /unlock and save setting ect plus an error led to give a rough idea if something is wrong.

I like pwm because you get some truly tiny boards (smart pwm v3 is fiddly but also can use a constant output so it doesn't drop off) and I've used mine for dual cell squonkers, and it has a very punchy hit to it.

Like said it works by putting out full cell voltage on and off super fast (you won't notice it) but this does give that harder hit to it.

I have a Mad Modder NLPWM v2. I like it. It has a max 60 amp. Cannot figure out why I can't run an rta with a 0.10 build on it though.

I have a Mad Modder NLPWM v2. I like it. It has a max 60 amp. Cannot figure out why I can't run an rta with a 0.10 build on it though.

How many cells?

Series or parallel if more than one?

It's to low of a ohm there not really good for builds under 0.3 ohms which may sound abit weird. but that's what I read about a big al board awhile ago and even big al said that when I asked him the same question

4 cells in series?

Well then, putting a 0.1 build on that will be trying to draw 168 amps.

One hundred and sixty eight amps.

That's ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY EIGHT amps.

That's 108 more than the current limit of the board.

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT MORE.

Would you like me to explain it another way?

Back
Top Bottom