POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

polishing you squid double barrel

Discussion in 'All Things Mod Making' started by vapesmarter, Oct 17, 2018.

1. vapesmarter

vapesmarter Case Maker

@Crewella who is my biggest loyal van (i must add she has yet to make a larger purchase) said she would be most interested if i polished my squid up

so tonight ladies gents and for you @Crewella the oh god polished squid double barrel thread

DVD?

but of course

Castaway

"Chuck Noland: Now I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

we need a squid my squid

IMG_6256.jpg

looks nasty, easy to pull apart 3 screws ease off the top (see the springs of doom ?)

IMG_6258.jpg

and here is the champagne version of the squid notice the real crappy spray on finish

now this mod is odd its stainless but looks low grade it may not be of course but I can't tell till I polish it

to polish is to remove the product you are taking a layer of material off I don't care how many youtube videos tell you otherwise but in fact, you are, imagine looking across a valley see the peaks and the valley floor well polishing takes off those peaks and makes it flatter the flatter it is the more it reflects light back (in laymans terms)

I have polished lots of things from gold to platinum from steel to alloy all react differently some keep there polish for a couple of hours some for a long time

IMG_6257.jpg

here is inside your squid note the black sealing gunk and note no machine marks

IMG_6259.jpg

so I'm going to knock it back with a stitch mop at say 3000 rpm in effect I'm just going to grease it up to see how the tube reacts

see where the tube is, it's in a certain area on the mop if I polish it wrong or hold it badly it will kick back its not so bad on a grease but when I finish mop or cross-hatch (more about that in a min) it can get dangerous at 5000rpm etc

IMG_6260.jpg

now I have greased the tube with various mope some stitch some loose, metal has grain so I need to go with the grain to start plus this has a reverse curve in the middle, also there are small knicks in the steel I could buff these out by satineening first but this will cause either a dragline or a flat spot so I will risk it but all that crappy finish is gone

IMG_6261.jpg

I'm starting on the finish mop I am not going to use rouge as it cant handle stainless I will also go cross hatch that is 90 degrees to the grain of the tube I will alternate this as i go checking the mod, Im at full speed here no gloves as the mod isnt getting hot but I need to be aware one slip and this mod will quite literally embed itself in the bench

I happy its a tube if it was flat I would have to go down the lines of felt mops and lapping which is another story

IMG_6264.jpg

a quick dip in the ultrasonic to clean

IMG_6263.jpg

I've quickly mopped the base over I'm not too concerned here as this is my mod so some paint can remain

screw it back together and we have

IMG_6265.jpg IMG_6266.jpg

one polished squid

its softer and oddly warmer in the hand

love my mods really love them?, then like them,,,buy one 9 weeks till xmas....

• Like Like x 14
    • Thank Thank x 1
  2. WaitFor1t88

WaitFor1t88 Veteran

looks awesome, interested to see how long it stays that way or if its easy to maintain

• Thank Thank x 1
  3. Simon G

Simon G Legend

..... big improvement!

did they get Smok to do the paint on these?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank Thank x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  4. vapesmarter

vapesmarter Case Maker

it will last a good while me thinks the steel is good, maintenance wise pretty easy for me quick flip on the mop

• Like Like x 2
  5. vapesmarter

vapesmarter Case Maker

painting anything pre-polished is a big no no it can't be a mechanical bond and being stainless wont be a chemical one either the Finnish was hanging on by it finger nails

#5 vapesmarter, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  6. Crewella

Crewella Legend

Looks lovely .... thank you for showing us. :)

• Thank Thank x 1
  7. skinku

skinku Achiever

Shiny, like my balls
    I love seeing this kind of thing

• LOL LOL x 3
  8. Crewella

Crewella Legend

Is it my eyes or is the infamous battery door made of different metal? Looks like thinly plated brass in your pics?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank Thank x 1
  9. ianleeds

ianleeds Achiever

Well it just goes to show.....yes, you can polish a turd :18:

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Thank Thank x 1
  10. vapesmarter

vapesmarter Case Maker

I see you’ve been zooming yes it is as far as I can tell plated with copper and nickel

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1