What's new

Newbie questions

igor yakunin

Hello

I couldn't find this "basic" information anywhere, would love for some help

1 - If using a single 18650 up to 50W on a dna75w, Which wire gauges are recommended for each use case? for example, from battery to chip, for 510 connection to chip, from chip to buttons ?
2 - If I want to use a battery tube , how do I fix it to the inside of the mod if its wood/stabwood ?
3 - Can I saw stabwood using a normal western wood saw or is the material too hard and can break?
4 - Can I use auger bit on stabwood, or is it a too hard material?

Thanks !

Hello

1 - If using a single 18650 up to 50W on a dna75w, Which wire gauges are recommended for each use case? for example, from battery to chip, for 510 connection to chip, from chip to buttons ?
2 - If I want to use a battery tube , how do I fix it to the inside of the mod if its wood/stabwood ?
3 - Can I saw stabwood using a normal western wood saw or is the material too hard and can break?

Thanks !

Welcome to the planet

Your embarking on a journey that is one of the hardest to do

My advice is learn the basics before you attempt stabwood

All vary in quality and after you have sawed and drilled it you will have to finish it

The best option is to get a pre built case first and hone your skills otherwise you may be disappointed

Stealthvape and modmaker are your first ports of call evolv is the next for wiring diagrams

Hello

Thanks !

Welcome to the planet

Your embarking on a journey that is one of the hardest to do

My advice is learn the basics before you attempt stabwood

All vary in quality and after you have sawed and drilled it you will have to finish it

The best option is to get a pre built case first and hone your skills otherwise you may be disappointed

Stealthvape and modmaker are your first ports of call evolv is the next for wiring diagrams

I don't have any useful information for you, other than to ay It's a brave thing to try, I did, and gave up at the first hurdle :(

But you probably have more expertise AND patience than I do.

I also found it very hard to find any basic information from google.

I don't have any useful information for you, other than to ay It's a brave thing to try, I did, and gave up at the first hurdle :(

But you probably have more expertise AND patience than I do.

I also found it very hard to find any basic information from google.

there is no info on google you have to learn it so from the first step to the last there are lots of processes to learn

looking back I would never embark on a stabwood mod without a miller and all the kit to go with it, but I've seen people use dremels and make a good solid mod

Last edited:
there is no info on google you have to learn it so from the first step to the last there are lots of processes to learn

You're right, but I'm surprised. For better or for worse, you can find instructions for most things on google nowadays. The ones I've seen of yours look fantastic by the way.

You're right, but I'm surprised. For better or for worse, you can find instructions for most things on google nowadays. The ones I've seen of yours look fantastic by the way.

there are too many variables I don't think any mod maker would sit down and do a video I've considered it but to even begin at the basics is hard

making a block and all the tricks what works to milling and cutting which tips to soldering and setting up and what cables what will work with each board to the final bit polishing sanding buffing

it would take months and then get no credit after 2 years sometimes more of leaning modmakers are a bitchy bunch

this reminds me of a young lad who came to see me to "learn" (friend of the family) he is studying engineering degree level, I gave him a block and said try it he was looking on the miller for the usb slot so he could set the mod up and push a button, I gave him a ruler and told him to turn that handle is your x axis turn that that one is your y.

he looked at me like I just punched his gran

"we design in cad"

"Welcome to the real world neo" I told him

there are lots of people better than me I'm getting there slowly

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I love it that you say its hard, it gives me even more motivation to complete my own!

I am planning to do it slowly step by step, My main reason for deciding to do it is to acquire woodworking skills (as a hobby),
I got 2 fancy stabwood planks for the final "product", 2 basic wood planks for test drives, and am planning to go and get 2 more soft and hard wood cheap planks from the local carpenter for learning woodworking basics.
I dont have a mill, just got an old bit brace I got from my grandad and a dremel tool, a western saw, and a rasp. will try to start from here on the woodworking path.

Is the stabwood a much harder material to work with compared to regular hardwood ? What are the diffrerent characteristics ?
Will a basic "cheap" drill press with forstner bits be good enought for drilling battery tube holes on stabwood?

Thanks !

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I love it that you say its hard, it gives me even more motivation to complete my own!

I am planning to do it slowly step by step, My main reason for deciding to do it is to acquire woodworking skills (as a hobby),
I got 2 fancy stabwood planks for the final "product", 2 basic wood planks for test drives, and am planning to go and get 2 more soft and hard wood cheap planks from the local carpenter for learning woodworking basics.
I dont have a mill, just got an old bit brace I got from my grandad and a dremel tool, a western saw, and a rasp. will try to start from here on the woodworking path.

Is the stabwood a much harder material to work with compared to regular hardwood ? What are the diffrerent characteristics ?
Will a basic "cheap" drill press with forstner bits be good enought for drilling battery tube holes on stabwood?

Thanks !

Depends on the stabwood there are different types some chip some split some are poor quality that won’t polish

I use my own and designed my own resin to go with it

In regards to a drill press yes you can do it I use the below miller and mill the hole as a drill press is not a strong or accurate as a miller but I use end mills to drill not Forstner bits but they can be used with some success the paddle bits you can get just stay away from them they are just awful, but remember you have one pull to do the hole so practice, practice on different woods some will be easy some will be hard to do.

Plus the bits must be razor sharp and be careful you need a vice and bolt it down I’m milling at 3000rpm at that speed a mistake can be deadly

F5D2CC03-4393-4E27-A64A-E35605CB62CD.jpeg

there are too many variables I don't think any mod maker would sit down and do a video I've considered it but to even begin at the basics is hard

making a block and all the tricks what works to milling and cutting which tips to soldering and setting up and what cables what will work with each board to the final bit polishing sanding buffing

it would take months and then get no credit after 2 years sometimes more of leaning modmakers are a bitchy bunch

this reminds me of a young lad who came to see me to "learn" (friend of the family) he is studying engineering degree level, I gave him a block and said try it he was looking on the miller for the usb slot so he could set the mod up and push a button, I gave him a ruler and told him to turn that handle is your x axis turn that that one is your y.

he looked at me like I just punched his gran

"we design in cad"

"Welcome to the real world neo" I told him

there are lots of people better than me I'm getting there slowly

I know the guy how put a little video on youtube how he does his mod. He usually making the DNA75 mods, but I seen the dicodes mod as well from him. His Name is Harry.He is a lovely guy. He is a Hungarian bloke. I have on of his early squonker. i love it. Check the video if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom