What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Mod, Semi mod etc ?

I'm not going there again... I don't think there is such a thing as 'semi-mech' it's either mechanical or it isn't.

That's the problem these days, China just makes shit up all the time to make it sound cool or something. "Pro FOCS flavour testing technology from Uwell" for example. :D
Yeah

Last edited:
Right so if I am happy using my Nautilus GT and mini with their coils I need to stay away from a mod or semi mod box.

What are the boxes called that have variable wattage built in ?

Yes I've seen a few that have just a fire button nothing else.

So what's a semi mod ?

There is no such thing as a semi mod.
There are mechanical mods that have no electronics beyond the circuit from the battery to the tank normally through the body of the mod with a mechanical switch that closes the circuit.

A semi mech is the above but with some safety components or circuits, so not really mechanical at all .

In either case you control the power by building the coil that draws the power you want.

Right so if I am happy using my Nautilus GT and mini with their coils I need to stay away from a mod or semi mod box.

What are the boxes called that have variable wattage built in ?
Regulated mods.

Last edited:
Thanks all understand it more now.

I really like my Mixx with Nautilus GT mini so I was looking around for another "premium looking" box with variable power but kept seeing loads with no power adjustment and names like mod and semi mod which is why I asked the question :S

There is no such thing as a semi mod.
There are mechanical mods that have no electronics beyond the circuit from the battery to the tank normally through the body of the mod with a mechanical switch that closes the circuit.

A semi mech is the above but with some safety components or circuits, so not really mechanical at all .

In either case you control the power by building the coil that draws the power you want.

Last edited:
Thanks all understand it more now.

I really like my Mixx with Nautilus GT mini so I was looking around for another "premium looking" box with variable power but kept seeing loads with no power adjustment and names like mod and semi mod which is why I asked the question :S
Yeah

Last edited:
Hi,

Can someone explain in real beginner terms of the differences between a mod, semi mod etc ? I see some units have variable wattage while others don't, some use a single cell and some can take two. :noob:

Thanks.

Semi mech means it has a chipset that will prevent accidents that a Mech mod could encounter. so a mech with safety.
Mech mod is basically power from the actual battery straight to atomizer, there are a few forms which i will speak about in a moment. Mech mods can be dangerous if the user isn't up to scratch with ohm's law, which is a must to prevent bad accidents.
Series mech, this is when the batteries use the ampage of both batteries together so if you will way more powerful and you need to keep builds above 0.4-0.5 or you will be pulling to much power from the batteries which can damage them or at worst create a problem like a fire or explosion.
Parallel mech is duel batteries again but the power is the same as a single battery but you got 2 batteries which means you can build slightly lower than a single battery Mech but you get twice the runtime nearly. Being new to vaping and having no knowledge of mechs my advice is dont try and run before you can walk. Get your head round ohm's law, learn how batteries work ie more amps less runtime more runtime less amps. Amps matter more in mechs than runtime, for safety reasons.
Stacked mod is similar to a series mod except the batteries in a series mod are side by side one battery up one battery down this means the power from battery one is pulled through battery 2. A stacked mech is a mech mod tube with an extra tube to fit a second battery using a contact in between the minus of one battery and the positive of the other. Again this creates a series mech so more power.
Batteries. Depends on how low a build you want to go. Most 18650's will require 25 amp batteries a 0.2ohm coil or build. 18350 10.5 amps 0.4ohms and above. 21700 you can get down as far as 0.12 with a 35amp rated battery.
Coil builds example single coil 0.8 becomes a 0.4ohm duel coil build .
One thing with mechs nowadays is they cannot put out as much power as a 200w mod. even 35 amp batteries only create 147watts.

Back
Top Bottom