What's new

Measuring amps.

I'd have thought your tin solution should be fine.

Thanks fella. I think you're right. I did a silly thing yesterday and shoved my multimeter on the positive and negative of the 510 trying to measure the amps. I know I should have put the Atty on and measured that but had another seedy moment. The tin blackened but the wires got hotter first. Luckily I realised I was being stupid and got they battery out before it vented. It did get hot but is still functioning.
Me and electrics is a dangerous combination! :-)

I like the keyboard :)

:rofl:

It's off the first ever PC I ever owned(Compaq Presario)and has withstood "hot rocks" falling on it when I smoked cannabis,oily hands when I looked up fixes for cars/PC's etc,and has been stripped down & rebuilt after each major PC cleaning session,also withstood being scrubbed with nylon bristled brush in washing up bowl to shift the more stubborn shit.I've tried a few times replacing it,but they've been black & hard to see in this darker corner and the black ones lose their lettering after a few months,this one is starting to fade a little which is no surprise as it's been in regular use for about 15 years. :P

I have the Dell AT102W - the "poor man's model M" of a similar age, also covered in characterful burns :). They're practically indestructible.

I've built a tin mod, used high amp button and wire but it doesn't hit as hard as a mech.
Is there a way to measure amps with a multimeter?

I've got some ammeters similarish to the voltmeters we sell if you really need one? But as mentioned they have to be wired in series in the mod

You'd be better with Brass sheet to use for battery terminals, easily available from model shops, bonus is a quick rub with a pan scrubber / scotchbrite pad and you get good conductivity and a first class solder joint...

I've got some ammeters similarish to the voltmeters we sell if you really need one? But as mentioned they have to be wired in series in the mod
Thanks. I don't think I need one but I want the wires and connections to deliver as much amps as required.
Time for beefy wires :-)

You'd be better with Brass sheet to use for battery terminals, easily available from model shops, bonus is a quick rub with a pan scrubber / scotchbrite pad and you get good conductivity and a first class solder joint...
Thanks bud. I'll gibe it a go.

Regarding the springs, move the wire connection to thr spring tip, either directly or use solder braid down to the base. Its a trick we do on torches to lessen connection resistance. The spring then purely provides clamping force and not current conduction.

Seedy I'd simply go for the thickest copper cored multi-strand cable I could use without having to compromise on component arrangement. If you can use solid core cables,I would but they can be difficult to work round the restricted spaces. I fully intend routing my negatives via the case rather than adding more wiring(as it is always the negative end of my battery that gets hot in my Kylin/Sigelei mods when a problem occurs)

Back
Top Bottom