What's new

Lipos revisited

Some good stuff raised in here. I will add my tuppence worth, from my experience in RC.

Don't forget its easy to parallel these relatively small LiPo packs up, for example
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34561

20C rated, 1000 mAh capacity. That means a continous current limit of 20A. Nice.

Right, lets make that into a 1S 2P pack, which gives us 2000 mAh capacity. Our current limit is now 40A.

Lets go even further and push that to a 1S 3P pack, now at 3000 mAh capacity. Current limit of 60A

This pack will be 63 x 34 x 18mm so basically the same size as 2x 18650 batteries. For 6 quid.

You don't need a balance charger until you start venturing into 2S territory. Some good wiring here R/C Calculations

I agree, it makes a lot of sense running parallel batteries!

I use those batteries in my bigger boxes, they work really well. I use them as a 1S-3P and it gives tons of life and good power deliver.
I have found they give a little more sag on the voltage than the really high performance ones.

In my smaller boxes I use 4 of these
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...s_Nine_Eagles_Solo_Pro_180_UK_Warehouse_.html
Bit of a pain to put together but make a really nice neat pack, and combined give over 100A continuous. Sag with 4 of these is extremely low.
-unfortunately I have ordered all of the stock they had in UK, and have some on backorder- they say more will be back in over the next couple of weeks.

I am off to build a few more packs tonight with both the 1000 and 750 cells, I till try and take a few pics as I go.

In the mean time here's how the LiPo's are working out for me and to give some idea on how the size of the packs work out.

Orange one is my project box which is currently sporting 100W raptor and 1500mAh 2S 7.4V battery
The midddle one has 3 -1000mAh cells as listed by bladesman- 60A pack
The little black box has 4 of the ones I list above for 100A pack, this is the most powerful and can punch out an actual 140W.

2urvzew.jpg

I agree, it makes a lot of sense running parallel batteries!

I use those batteries in my bigger boxes, they work really well. I use them as a 1S-3P and it gives tons of life and good power deliver.
I have found they give a little more sag on the voltage than the really high performance ones.

In my smaller boxes I use 4 of these
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...s_Nine_Eagles_Solo_Pro_180_UK_Warehouse_.html
Bit of a pain to put together but make a really nice neat pack, and combined give over 100A continuous. Sag with 4 of these is extremely low.
-unfortunately I have ordered all of the stock they had in UK, and have some on backorder- they say more will be back in over the next couple of weeks.

I am off to build a few more packs tonight with both the 1000 and 750 cells, I till try and take a few pics as I go.

In the mean time here's how the LiPo's are working out for me and to give some idea on how the size of the packs work out.

Orange one is my project box which is currently sporting 100W raptor and 1500mAh 2S 7.4V battery
The midddle one has 3 -1000mAh cells as listed by bladesman- 60A pack
The little black box has 4 of the ones I list above for 100A pack, this is the most powerful and can punch out an actual 140W.

2urvzew.jpg
Nice. I'll have a few lipo mods soon. Much the same as you. Going to do an SX350 100w, 20a Raptor and a 10a Raptor. I also fancy doing a 2 or 3p mosfet build. Lots to do ;-)

I started with 1000 MaH lipo cells,four of them in parallel would allow upwards of 30 hours of heavy vaping at 0.3 or lower ohms. Then I decided to go slightly mental and bought a heap of 2200 MaH cells, that were a fecking pita to get a reasonably sized enclosure for. Mid-build I decided to try rearranging the configuration so I ended up with 4400 MaH at 8.4v. My Raptor build has stalled while I try to figure out whether it has 2 mosfets or 1 as converting the photo to a circuit diagram wasn't as easy as I anticipated. Now I'm trying to decide whether to use the pack I made in an unregulated box or still keep it to one side for the Raptor.

Looking through this thread has given me a couple of ideas, doubt they will ever reach fruition but at least it's made me think :D

Some nice looking mods in this thread, so well done guys.

The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is where and what to get to connect the battery in the mod. The packs I got have mini JST and JST xh if I've got that right male sockets. They seem a bit flimsy to me. Is it worth swapping them for something a bit better or not? I'd also like to mount a female ;-) yes, I thought that too. No joke, I want to mount a female into the enclosure for easy charging so any recommendations on where to get the JST and JST xh female sockets suitable for this.
Thanks for your help people.

The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is where and what to get to connect the battery in the mod. The packs I got have mini JST and JST xh if I've got that right male sockets. They seem a bit flimsy to me. Is it worth swapping them for something a bit better or not? I'd also like to mount a female ;-) yes, I thought that too. No joke, I want to mount a female into the enclosure for easy charging so any recommendations on where to get the JST and JST xh female sockets suitable for this.

If you get a young female it can be a real tight fit and hard to pull out, they do loosen up over time.

LOL BDB!

I got a bag of XT60 connectors inc a panel connector from Hobbyking and they look just the job. They also do XT90's as well but they are huge the 60's are plenty big enough.

I started with 1000 MaH lipo cells,four of them in parallel would allow upwards of 30 hours of heavy vaping at 0.3 or lower ohms. Then I decided to go slightly mental and bought a heap of 2200 MaH cells, that were a fecking pita to get a reasonably sized enclosure for. Mid-build I decided to try rearranging the configuration so I ended up with 4400 MaH at 8.4v. My Raptor build has stalled while I try to figure out whether it has 2 mosfets or 1 as converting the photo to a circuit diagram wasn't as easy as I anticipated. Now I'm trying to decide whether to use the pack I made in an unregulated box or still keep it to one side for the Raptor.

Looking through this thread has given me a couple of ideas, doubt they will ever reach fruition but at least it's made me think :D

Some nice looking mods in this thread, so well done guys.

I'm having the same fun with the 2200's they are a PITA size, I cant see me ever using them.

I have just completed a raptor build and I am really pleased with it, the control works very well. Do you have the Mamu diagram for raptor build? if not I will post it up.

I'm having the same fun with the 2200's they are a PITA size, I cant see me ever using them.

I have just completed a raptor build and I am really pleased with it, the control works very well. Do you have the Mamu diagram for raptor build? if not I will post it up.
While your talking about raptor builds, I read somewhere that a 470 pot will work.
This is what I've got so do I need to use a different resistor?

LOL BDB!

I got a bag of XT60 connectors inc a panel connector from Hobbyking and they look just the job. They also do XT90's as well but they are huge the 60's are plenty big enough.
I'll check em out. Do they have loose females at Hobbyking? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom