What's new

Let me tell you about niobium alloy resistance wire

stealthvape

Premium Vendor
I've found a slightly different resistance wire. It's a kanthal type wire so an alloy of iron chromium and aluminium but with the interesting addition of Niobium - Used as a superconducter of all things.

The short story is, niobium alloy resistance wire has a max working temperature of 1,400 °C whereas according to kanthals wiki kanthal has a melting point of 1,200 °C.

So I'll be trying out this stuff over the next couple of days as I have plenty of .20 and .25mm and will report back. This is if I can bring myself to destroy the .30mm kanthal a-1 coil I'm using at the moment as it's pretty sweet and why ruin a good thing.

Using a superconductor in resistance wire, does that really make sense? hehe Obviously it has more to do with the melting point of Ni being 2477 °C but it sounds way cool :)

will it explode or burn like titanium ?

:D

Bought some. Will use it next time I rebuild my Nautilus! Hopefully the same sort of taste as titanium (when it's not being a springy bastard or lighting up southern England), with the ease of use of Kanthal :D

Rewired my aga-t with it yesterday, seems to be working really well :) No fireworks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom