What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

It's a bit of a monster...

Thanks for the kind words :)
I've just had another look round breaktru's forum,& now I remember what it was I found uninteresting,he isn't that interested in wicked power as his mods all seem to be squarely aimed at no more than 30 watts.There IS however a modder on there was talking of a bigger power device(but forgotten who it was,& even what his planned output was)

As soon as I read the words "3 phase" my brain resumed its meltdown,it's like a form of dyslexia but applies to the thought processes is about the best description.The information goes in,but refuses to form into any order and lumps of the data input then just vacate my thoughts when I try to organize the information.Years ago,my dad built a prototype power manipulator and was only able to purchase 3 phase motors to power it,so I vaguely recall him trying to explain the difference between them & "standard" motors but as this was 40 odd years ago when I was still in short trousers and he was doing the "I'm a scientist so you wouldn't understand" (metallurgist) explanation that generally indicated that he didn't actually want to have to explain it went straight over my head.

If modern ESC are for 3 phase,and older devices aren't then IF I found a supply,surely they'd be limited supplies thus making multi-project builds a little tricky?I feel the need to go do a shedload of reading,use the internet as a research tool & see if I can relearn the method of asking the right questions in the right order. :rofl:

These are both for brushed motors, you could use something like an arduino to control them, they have built in low voltage cut-off too.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28417__Turnigy_20A_BRUSHED_ESC_UK_Warehouse_.html http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28711__Turnigy_30A_BRUSHED_ESC_UK_Warehouse_.html
From the comments people are using them for other things already ;).

That is so very interesting,just checked online ohms calculator & the 30 amp one could go to 150 watts (approx) and the 25 amp is still good for 90+ watts though the "coils" resistance might be a little tricky to arrange as one result stated 0.123333333 (6" nails? :rofl: )

As a homebrew box mod,costing under £30 for the parts to build a device able to fire up a W3 instantly is giving me a semi :P

That is so very interesting,just checked online ohms calculator & the 30 amp one could go to 150 watts (approx) and the 25 amp is still good for 90+ watts though the "coils" resistance might be a little tricky to arrange as one result stated 0.123333333 (6" nails? :rofl: )

As a homebrew box mod,costing under £30 for the parts to build a device able to fire up a W3 instantly is giving me a semi :P

I think your calculations are a little off. They're for 2-3 cells in series - so 8.4V (2S 7.4V nominal) or 12.6V (3S 11.1V nominal) packs.

For a 3S pack @12.6V the 20A one would supply up to 252W or 378W for the 30A.
For a 2S pack @8.4V the 20A one would supply up to 168W or 252W for the 30A.

I think your calculations are a little off. They're for 2-3 cells in series - so 8.4V (2S 7.4V nominal) or 12.6V (3S 11.1V nominal) packs.

For a 3S pack @12.6V the 20A one would supply up to 252W or 378W for the 30A.
For a 2S pack @8.4V the 20A one would supply up to 168W or 252W for the 30A.

lol,your right.I decided in my braindead state that the LiPo cells were only 3.7 volts.I will admit to having a few pages open at once though,whilst I was adding up the costs again,& again,& again as I can't believe that kind of power can be bought so cheaply.

That's actually amazing!! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

That is seriously insane. I can see a few singed eyebrows coming up sooner rather than later.

Ruddy double posting, this mods so good, it just had to post twice ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom