What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

'Electronics for Dummies' (book)

robski

Postman
I was wondering whether anyone has had a look at one of these books and, if so, what they thought?

My thinking is that it'll provide me with a basic understanding of electronic principals and, although it's unlikely to be of specific help in the field of mod building, it will be a useful purchase and reference book for the 'wannabe' mod builder with little / no electronics experience. I figure that if I'm going to do this then I'm going to do it right.

Any other suggestions out there?

Many thanks.

R

Either that, or, Try and get an electronic engineering book from a btec level. Most of it will be useless, but, will go into more detail about what you need to know: )

I was wondering whether anyone has had a look at one of these books and, if so, what they thought?

My thinking is that it'll provide me with a basic understanding of electronic principals and, although it's unlikely to be of specific help in the field of mod building, it will be a useful purchase and reference book for the 'wannabe' mod builder with little / no electronics experience. I figure that if I'm going to do this then I'm going to do it right.

Many thanks.

R

Books like these are a way to get you started, then if you want to reader deeper into something you can use google.

Books like these are a way to get you started, then if you want to reader deeper into something you can use google.

Either that, or, Try and get an electronic engineering book from a btec level. Most of it will be useless, but, will go into more detail about what you need to know: )

Thanks chaps!
I'll go for it as I really can't remember much from my old physics classes, well, they were more than 25 years ago!
Bugger! Doesn't time fly!!!
R

Last edited:
Or, do a search for gcse electronics on Google, that'll cover the basics, then move up to as level revision materials

Many thanks.

R

They are probably a good starter
Pwm theory and transistor switching are most likely the areas that will benefit you in mod making
Also pcb design perhaps although a ready made module adapted to what you want May be the way to go

Sent from (who cares) using Planet of the Vapes

They are probably a good starter
Pwm theory and transistor switching are most likely the areas that will benefit you in mod making
Also pcb design perhaps although a ready made module adapted to what you want May be the way to go

Sent from (who cares) using Planet of the Vapes

Thanks, that's useful info, although pcb design might be a couple of steps too far!
If I can work out how to solder a couple of additional switches onto a Vamo V5 pcb in order to mount them in a different location I'll be chuffed. 2 wires on additional switches and 4 legs on the switch mounted on the pcb.... Why can't they make it simple?
Anyhooo, the chips haven't even arrived yet so there's plenty of time for reading, googling and head scratching!
R

Thanks, that's useful info, although pcb design might be a couple of steps too far!
If I can work out how to solder a couple of additional switches onto a Vamo V5 pcb in order to mount them in a different location I'll be chuffed. 2 wires on additional switches and 4 legs on the switch mounted on the pcb.... Why can't they make it simple?
Anyhooo, the chips haven't even arrived yet so there's plenty of time for reading, googling and head scratching!
R

you might find that two of the soldered connections go nowhere and are there just as additional fixings for the onboard switches.

you might find that two of the soldered connections go nowhere and are there just as additional fixings for the onboard switches.

That'll be useful!
I'll find out more when the postie gets round to dropping them off, which will be quite some time after fasttech finally stick them in an envelope!

Back
Top Bottom