What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Dna 40

I always thought it was chrome, specifically cr60... Especially as nickel is stable and already used in virtually every replaceable coil...

When it comes to vaping and whats toxic nobody really knows, like Brandon said in the video he didn't really know if it was toxic or not, the research he did said it should be ok.

Yea, but he has always slagged them off for lack of reveres battery protection. Samsung would make something like the YiHi chips first time though better: good but not really understanding the nuances & adding features to please the marketing dept. Yihi are doing a goodish job with the moders boards, but the OEM/IPV ones - they need some vapers on the design team, better power reg, test and ship the firme ware with the board, better quality control, better battery care & power locking (some models it was big nasty oversight).

Evolve stuff is usually doing something new that matters, watch the pb videos of he's Evolv factory tour and you will see that John has spent his career designing power supply circuits. Features have to be important to get into a Evolv ROM, no frippery allowed and you have to admit the quality is top notch (excepting the lack of rbp on the DNAs). Like a good tool they are designed to do the job with min fuss and do it day in and day out.

Just my opinion YMMV.

Don't get me wrong I like evolve products. The evolve products are not flawless my display dropped off taking out of the box. Display has been a big problem that its so fragile and something they still haven't sorted out.

The yihi sx330 boards seem to be cheap crap, this is typical China they don't care about their reputation. Sigelei wanted the sx330 chip at low cost so there was no real beta testing.

Seen the video about John and I don't think he is the genius everybody makes him out to be, the guy couldn't get reverse battery protection right and said it was modders responsibility to sort it out. Evolve is pushing out unfinished products too.

I don't buy into all the sellers crap from both yihi and evolve and try it and make my own opinion :)

Don't get me wrong I like evolve products. The evolve products are not flawless my display dropped off taking out of the box. Display has been a big problem that its so fragile and something they still haven't sorted out.

The yihi sx330 boards seem to be cheap crap, this is typical China they don't care about their reputation. Sigelei wanted the sx330 chip at low cost so there was no real beta testing.

Seen the video about John and I don't think he is the genius everybody makes him out to be, the guy couldn't get reverse battery protection right and said it was modders responsibility to sort it out. Evolve is pushing out unfinished products too.

I don't buy into all the sellers crap from both yihi and evolve and try it and make my own opinion :)

The reverse battery was a bad move and no mistake, but it was understandable that expected mod makers not using integral batteries to implement it. I managed it easily, so did Zen and don't see why other mod makers decided not to, maybe they were to lazy to read the spec. There is no standard that says what a mod board should have and it's not that he tried and failed it just didn't reach the release spec, size and cost limitations.

It's about John being a genesis or not, but time served in designing power supply boards for clients for who down time is an unacceptable expense together with being a good engineer makes him well placed to do this stuff. Engineering design is using existing sicence/tech to solve problems/fill needs, generally incrementally. They are not building a flux converter or a teleporter, they are making a clever lego model.

I am not aware of Evolv "pushing out unfinished product"??? There are always things that can be improved like rbp and a socket for the display ribbon cable like in phones, but I have broken a screen (my fault) and they are a piece of piss to replace. But I prefer they compromise in feature rather than quality to stay with in cost.

I am typing like a love sick Evolv fan boy, I am not, I maybe a fanboy of solid modern engineering approach. Its all good for us with China pushing power and features and the west pushing safety and quality.

The reverse battery was a bad move and no mistake, but it was understandable that expected mod makers not using integral batteries to implement it. I managed it easily, so did Zen and don't see why other mod makers decided not to, maybe they were to lazy to read the spec. There is no standard that says what a mod board should have and it's not that he tried and failed it just didn't reach the release spec, size and cost limitations.

It's about John being a genesis or not, but time served in designing power supply boards for clients for who down time is an unacceptable expense together with being a good engineer makes him well placed to do this stuff. Engineering design is using existing sicence/tech to solve problems/fill needs, generally incrementally. They are not building a flux converter or a teleporter, they are making a clever lego model.

I am not aware of Evolv "pushing out unfinished product"??? There are always things that can be improved like rbp and a socket for the display ribbon cable like in phones, but I have broken a screen (my fault) and they are a piece of piss to replace. But I prefer they compromise in feature rather than quality to stay with in cost.

I am typing like a love sick Evolv fan boy, I am not, I maybe a fanboy of solid modern engineering approach. Its all good for us with China pushing power and features and the west pushing safety and quality.

Both yours and zen solution to reverse battery protection wasn't very practical because it doesn't work with all batteries. Having no reverse battery protection is a unfinished product and something they could solve but didn't choose to do.
Don't know how it could be understandable for modders to add reverse battery when they could do it cheaper than the modders. Only seen one modder do it the right way and that was a guy Sparkyjuice linked me to on FB. His solution was very good but probably costly.

Think you have misunderstood what China do, China make what we want them to make, if we all said we wanted safety and were willing to pay for it then they would make it. Everybody wanted power they gave us power. China can do whatever we want them to do as long as they make money doing it.
Your buying into the evolve sales pitches too much.

I'm not against evolve in anyway but I don't buy into everything they say.

If its true that evolve is trying to enter the dry herb market then they are idiots. Vaping has enough controversy surrounding it and the last thing it needs is to be put under same banner as "legalize it".

The vapor critics are going to love this one, remember these people got all pissed off about fruit and candy flavors.

Not really. Cannabis is legal in many states in the US and a lot of countries around the world are starting to accept and legalise it too, so its an industry on the rise. The illegal cannabis market was estimated to be worth $140bn so now its legal in certain places it'll be attractive to businesses.

Hopefully the UK will follow suit, for more reasons then just it would be nice to smoke legally - but it would be nice to smoke legally :D

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Last edited:
Not really. Cannabis is legal in many states in the US and a lot of countries around the world are starting to accept and legalise it too, so its an industry on the rise. The illegal cannabis market was estimated to be worth $140bn so now its legal in certain places it'll be attractive to businesses.

Hopefully the UK will follow suit, for more reasons then just it would be nice to smoke legally - but it would be nice to smoke legally :D

Ofc it is, its a controversial topic everywhere at moment otherwise it would be legal everywhere. Last thing vaping needs is more controversy.

this is all about the production of toxins at higher juice temperature
set the temp as a limit to inhibit juice breakdown
watts is there for big wick/airflow cooling to achieve your temperature

FYI, it's legal in 2 states for recreational use as of this year, Washington (where I live) and Colorado, both in the western US. It's been legalish for personal medical use for a few years. The Federal Gov has told the DEA (drug enforcement agency) to back off to see how this plays out. So far it's working out ok, but every time the cops pull someone over and find they are high on weed it makes the news. The law is treating it in the same manor as alcohol. Some just don't seem to understand what a DUI is, its driving under the influence, be it booze, weed, prescription meds, OTC cough medicine, paint fumes etc. But you can't smoke it in public. Yet aside from the Fed's the local Gov. is still trying to take my vaping away.

That being said I have run across some fellow vapors only to discover when I'm down wind their cloud smells a bit funny :hmm:

Both yours and zen solution to reverse battery protection wasn't very practical because it doesn't work with all batteries. Having no reverse battery protection is a unfinished product and something they could solve but didn't choose to do.
Don't know how it could be understandable for modders to add reverse battery when they could do it cheaper than the modders. Only seen one modder do it the right way and that was a guy Sparkyjuice linked me to on FB. His solution was very good but probably costly.

Think you have misunderstood what China do, China make what we want them to make, if we all said we wanted safety and were willing to pay for it then they would make it. Everybody wanted power they gave us power. China can do whatever we want them to do as long as they make money doing it.
Your buying into the evolve sales pitches too much.

I'm not against evolve in anyway but I don't buy into everything they say.

I could not disagree more with your first paragraph as I prefer simple cost effective solutions that work (often known as engineering), but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I do respect yours even if I don't agree in this case.

I don't feel that I am buying into everything Evolve says, I accept that a product comes with a spec and work from there. There a quite few things I would change, but accept that you get what your given so have to work with it or not. IMO the worst thing they have done with the DNA family is failing to limit the current through the charging board. Would like to see a version without buttons in a smaller package.

Neither do I feel that I misunderstand what chain do, it's sooo obvious, but only as good as the market research. You never get innovation by following the market. My main worry is the quality seems to vary too much making it hard to judge before you buy. They need to get vapers more involved in the design EG: IPV swapping power locking for touch sensor, making mod boards > 18 mm wide with fixed screens.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom