What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

DIY mech mod

mattpelt30

Initiate
Can someone shed some light on how a mech mod works? I'd like to make my own. I've seen some cool ones other places but no one has listed the science behind how they work, if one metal is better than another, etc, etc. some of you awesome master builders can help me out please :)

In simple terms....A mod is basicly a tube with a battery inside it...On one end there's a switch, and at the other end is a connection to attach an atomiser of sorts....Basically all your doing is making a circuit with a switch....i matters little what metal you use as long as it conducts electricity.....some metals are much better than others to do this, which is why you have so much choice...

In simple terms....A mod is basicly a tube with a battery inside it...On one end there's a switch, and at the other end is a connection to attach an atomiser of sorts....Basically all your doing is making a circuit with a switch....i matters little what metal you use as long as it conducts electricity.....some metals are much better than others to do this, which is why you have so much choice...

Thanks I know that it's a simple circuit but I wanna find some specs somewhere on how to build one. It's gotta be easy, I just don't wanna shell out the dough for something I can build pretty easily

There are reasons you might do it - the satisfaction of owning a unique item, and vaping something you've made yourself - but getting it cheap *really* isn't one of them. Just have a look at any switch, in any mechanical mod, and carefully weigh up the necessary work that's gone into it, and how you would go about doing that, by hand, from scratch...

Even if you have easy access to a metal lathe, and the skills to operate it, and you price your time at zero, you can be pretty much assured that you won't be making a mod any cheaper than you can buy them.

mattpelt30
It's gotta be easy, I just don't wanna shell out the dough for something I can build pretty easily

You'd be surprised at just how "Un-Easy" it is..My partner and myself have been in the process of building a full mechanical mod for over two months, via trial and error and trying to bypass the problems which have come up in that time...We should be talking to our engineer in the next week or so to build the prototypes, then there will be a lot of testing and tweaking before the final result...all in all, three or four months, just to get to a prototype that works on paper but still has to be tested.

First off take a look at the bits that stealth vape sell for mod making. Then decide according to your engineering skills whether you want a box mod or tubular. A bit of thinking and you will find the main chassis components in any high Street. Torches for tubes and ready made switches. Copper bus bars from an old household fuse box/consumer unit make the perfect positive connection. A good safe 2000 mah imr battery is about 7 quid and more than ample for any mod. Build this one correctly and you need no soldering skills. A bit of careful filing can bring the o/d of one tube to fit the I/d of another, this way you can have ready machined threads at both ends of a tube, you can set the length of a tube to suit your chosen battery and if you are careful enough with your file you can get a very neat interference fit joint without the need for glue. The metal tube is your earth/negative connection much the same as the negative Earth/chassis earth on your car. No wires, minimal voltage drop depending on the quality of the switch and a very good vape. Alternatively pick up a smokers tin for a nicker anywhere a battery holder of your choice and cut the lead from the wife's hair dryer and you have most of the bits needed for a tin mod.
Good luck.

Raguri
What problems are you facing? looking at building myself

I'm intending to make a mechanical mod for sale
Just basic engineering problems, buying the correct metals and finding a supplier, correct tools for the lathe, finding an engraver, etc....nothing too difficult, just time consuming....But everything's under control....
It all just takes time to get "That Perfect Mod"

First off take a look at the bits that stealth vape sell for mod making..

+1 for this-i'm also interested in making my own mods,and hadn't a clue about how to do it,so bought all the bits for a battery box mod as a way of trying it out cheaply and safely(guide here-http://www.modipedia.com/wiki/Simple_2xAA_Boxmod_with_Bi-colour_LED,this is for the kit,which is no longer available?-but you can still buy all the bits seperately).having never even held a soldering iron til last night-it ain't that difficult,and it actually works:woot:.
give it a go,actually making one has given me a few insights into how these things work,and some ideas for my next build-start small and work up is the way to go i reckon:2thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom