Innokin
What's new

Butchered an old laptop for batteries.

RicModMaker

Vendor
Tell me I'm stupid but in the name of recycling, and being stingy, today I pulled an 8 year old laptop battery pack apart and found 4 cells which I think are 18650. Right size and look right but there isn't and decent markings on them. Am I mad thinking I can use these? The battery pack said it was 14.4v so it sort of points towards them being 3.7v each. Do you think I'm in danger if I stick these in my battery charger?

The Electronic Cigarette Company
I'm using recycled laptop batteries,just treat them with even more respect than a cell labelled with a brand name and you should be okay.

Sent by lazer from just north of the world's largest nuclear dustbin

AcmeFog
I did this and done some testing but i found they heated up very quickly.. even when charging they got hot not just in the mods

you will probably find that there samsumg batteries normally red plastic covering and there icr so defo not safe in a mech mod... I would check the voltage of each battery also before putting them in a charger anything below 3.2v just bin it means the cell is dead...

if they are the red ones have a close look around then to see if you can see the number and if you rub it the numbers should be alittle clearer ur18650a where the ones i tested...

I would not say it's 100% ok to use them i did some testing and never used them again but i do know ppl do use them...

Its more about the amp limit, tbh battery's are pretty inexpensive, I've got efests used daily over six months old and are as good as the day I got them, jeebus they were only around £10 a pair :S

Vape Club
Laptop batteries - What I use
Make sure you look up the model code... I have one 30amp, and three 10amps (Others were duff).

Vape Green
Laptop batteries - What I use
Make sure you look up the model code... I have one 30amp, and three 10amps (Others were duff).

Did your home made mod ever take off made from parts, seriously were you picking fag ends out the gutter

Did your home made mod ever take off made from parts, seriously were you picking fag ends out the gutter

Home made?
No no, mainly as I spoke to the engineering guys at college and they went "Sorry, but since you haven't had any training (Even though I did Design tech at my previous college... And got a C even thought I missed 8 weeks due to my op...) you can't use any of the machinery"
Since I only use 18650s, the plan was - 19B Top cap, lathed 18650 Tube, and 8w Switch..
Mainly as no other 18650 tube would work :(

Also, not quite. I just wanted something unique that I put some effort into :P

Last edited:
Premier Ecigs
Laptop batteries are fine to use. I have been using them for months. ur18650a batteries are sanyo not samsung.

Back
Top Bottom