What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Bought myself a "fixer upper"

Nice idea stu but i don't have a workshop :P
My current thinking is that I'll try and desolder get the old 510 and get that removed when I have some spare time at weekend. I'm going to have to be super careful not to melt anything though as that negative contact is way in back and super close to the Delrin body. Hopefully I can then source a 22mm squonk 510 to cover the mess up top and solder stuff back together.

what no man cave?

if you have access to a Dremel you could slice the base off including the nut

I found the whole affair pretty painful I did one a while ago but it can be done a 510 deployment tool is your best friend here

Ah another melted Zero!

If you ever get stuck wondering how to get it apart find Dan Pearce on Facebook.

He's repaired quite a few, I'm sure he'd run you down the strip down.

Yeah I'd buy a larger catch cup style 510 and due to the lack of tools I'd get a craft knife and slowly remove the melted beauty ring and accommodate the new 510.
Nice buddy.

Ps that's not a beauty ring I don't think.

I've seen the Zero melt before and it was the actual mod body that had melted. Looked pretty identical to that.

Although I'd just sand it back :)

Pretty sure it's a melted on delrin beauty ring, it was all over the top of the 510 and those photos are after I'd been at it with a craft knife. I'm tempted to sand it down but there's no way I'd get the finish to the same as the rest so it would probably look worse to be honest.

My idea would be to first cut away the rest of the melted beauty ring just to check how much melted damage there was to the body of the mod, and hoping the damage to the actually mod ain't to deep, you should be able to sand the damage out, you could pretty much replicate the finish of the mod by sanding it down throught the grades, starting with P500, then P800, P1000, P1500, P2000 then it should be nice and smooth, give it alittle Polish with some fine compound and the finish should be something like the rest of the mod, but before you start sanding you would need to remove the 510 connection...

Ok quick update, after a timely reminder from @vapesmarter that I've been sat looking at this thing for 3 days.

I've managed to desolder the +ve contact without melting anything by lining the mod with cardboard so I wouldn't slip and bugger things up with the soldering iron, but there's no way to get to that -ve bar/wire it's simply too tight a space. I suspect it was probably soldered to the nut and then the 510 was then screwed into the nut from the top and I'm probably going to have to do the same in reverse which should then give me better access to that area of solder.

I think I need to order a 510 deployment tool and 22mm source bf 510 assembly from @stealthvape before I can get any further. Before I do so can anyone think of anything else I might need?

I've got a mod maker 510 tool you can borrow. Your fairly local so sure we can meet up if you want it.

@nwhornet it's only £5 for a 510 deployment tool so I might as well buy one for any future repairs. Thanks for the offer though :)

Back
Top Bottom