What's new

Best gauge wire to use in a DIY box mod?

p-georgiou

Postman
Im looking into making a mechanical box mod, if i want to sub ohm what would be the best gauge wire to use to solder all my components together? (i've heard it makes a difference) and does anyone know a good site that sells all sorts of components for DIY mech mods?

thanks guys!!

Mod maker uk site
Or stealthvape
If you use cable strictly speaking it's not a mech

Sent from (who cares) using Planet of the Vapes

China_Electrical_4_0mm2_PVC_insulated_single_core_copper_wire2012648380210.jpg

Single core copper insulated wire is good.

Always when building a mod start with the volts & amps. Use an ohms law calculator and punch in the numbers.

Say you are going to use a freshly charged 4.2 volt battery and the device has a 0.2ohm coil you need to know the amps, its 21 amps. So you are going to need components that can handle 21 amps safely. To be safe go with 35amp rated wire.

Always when building things you always go overkill to be safe, like making an elevator with a load capacity of 800kg you don't build it so it will break at 801kg you make it so it can take 1500kg before braking just to be safe.

Good luck, have fun & be safe.

ah thats brilliant, thanks guys. i've done some electronics at uni (built a synthesiser lol) but this is my first DIY mod so i just wanted to be safe! i'm going away to cyprus for two weeks but once i get back and buy all the parts il have to report back and tell you how i got on!

Solid copper mains cable, don't know if you can still get the red and black, it's all blue and brown now. :)

Solid copper mains cable, don't know if you can still get the red and black, it's all blue and brown now. :)

Yup, though has to be the'twin and earth'to get the red and black:D

posted from a DIY juice cloud

TWE has been brown and blue for years (blame the EU)
2.5mm is good for 20 Amp
4mm is probably best re volt drop but may be tough to solder with a puny iron
depends on switch and expectations really

I've been looking on stealth vapes, and the mod maker UK site and I can't actually find any switches that are rated over like 6A. I'm a little confused because on stealth vapes they have a few buttons that are rated low A but in the description they say it can handle up to 9A? So how on earth no I know what handles what if some the lower rated switches can supposedly handle 9A? I'm confused lol

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

I've been looking on stealth vapes, and the mod maker UK site and I can't actually find any switches that are rated over like 6A. I'm a little confused because on stealth vapes they have a few buttons that are rated low A but in the description they say it can handle up to 9A? So how on earth no I know what handles what if some the lower rated switches can supposedly handle 9A? I'm confused lol

The easiest way to fix that problem would be a mosfet. :D

mosfetswitch_zps3a26b2eb.jpeg

Cool, seems like a really simple schematic, what does a MOSFET actually do?

Back
Top Bottom