What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Battery for my Mod Build

robski

Postman
I've been planning a mod build for a little while now but I'm waiting for a selection of parts / cases / chips to come through before I finalise my design. I wanted a battery that wouldn't need charging every few hours so high capacity was quite important to me. At the moment I'm thinking about removing the cell from the hard case but I won't know if I'll need to do this until I finalize my design. This is what the postie brought for me this morning!

battery3.jpg

I've never attached a photo to a post before so I hope this works...

Are there any reasons why it would be stupid to install this in a mod?

Specs:

Single cell
6000 mAh
3.7 volt
65C (130C burst - but this is irrelevant for mods)

As always, thanks in advance to the experienced mod builders for their advice and comments. I'm just muddling my way through this and trying to build my knowledge base!

R

Only one reason I can think of, its HUGE :) and I hate lipo's for APV.

Lipo's are not really good batteries to use in APV for many reasons, one when charging them you should use lipo safety bags or charge them outside. Two if dropped they can short internally and vent or turn on fire, this doesn't happen instantly it can take days after you have dropped them. Ask the RC guys what they do with lipo's after a crash, they bin them.
Three you have to maintain lipo's and inspect them for swelling.

IMO lipo's shouldn't be used in something you put very close to your face.

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks
262699d1188692513-associated-factory-team-tc5-brushless-lipo-li-ion-nanophosphate-tips-tricks-batterry-fire-resized.jpg

Safety tips.
Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries and LiPo Failure Reports - RC Groups

This is just MO.

Thanks for that BaDaBooM
I decided on LiPo because I'd seen some commercially available box mods, such as the original Hana Modz Mini V3 (and clones), using these types of cells.
I'll do some more research into these now but I know other builders are using LiPo cells without incident.
I chose to go with a single cell as my research led me to believe that this would be safer approach than multi cell as with more than one cell the differences between the cells, either from new of developing over time, can can cause 'issues'.
Where capacity is less of an issue I also have parts to install 18650 cells and these are my preferred option for a smaller build.
R

Thanks for that @BaDaBooM
I decided on LiPo because I'd seen some commercially available box mods, such as the original Hana Modz Mini V3 (and clones), using these types of cells.
I'll do some more research into these now but I know other builders are using LiPo cells without incident.
I chose to go with a single cell as my research led me to believe that this would be safer approach than multi cell as with more than one cell the differences between the cells, either from new of developing over time, can can cause 'issues'.
Where capacity is less of an issue I also have parts to install 18650 cells and these are my preferred option for a smaller build.
R

I kind of figured you had done your homework on lipo's. Added it mostly for other that have little idea what lipo's are and what they are used for. Why I hate lipo's in APV's is that the lipo in my Vapor Shark DNA (the same lipo they use in the mini Hana) vented and I have seen 2 other cases where these batteries have vented.

Good luck with the build and don't forget to post pics :)

I kind of figured you had done your homework on lipo's. Added it mostly for other that have little idea what lipo's are and what they are used for. Why I hate lipo's in APV's is that the lipo in my Vapor Shark DNA (the same lipo they use in the mini Hana) vented and I have seen 2 other cases where these batteries have vented.

Good luck with the build and don't forget to post pics :)

Wow!
I hadn't heard of any venting incidents in APV's at all!
Do you have any idea what caused your failure?
Any photos of the resulting damage?
Hopefully the damage was limited to the device and not yourself!

The build is still a couple of months off as it'll be done in Spain. Need something to keep me away from the pub! I'm looking at putting together a basic workshop in the garage out there.

Only one reason I can think of, its HUGE :) and I hate lipo's for APV.

Lipo's are not really good batteries to use in APV for many reasons, one when charging them you should use lipo safety bags or charge them outside. Two if dropped they can short internally and vent or turn on fire, this doesn't happen instantly it can take days after you have dropped them. Ask the RC guys what they do with lipo's after a crash, they bin them.
Three you have to maintain lipo's and inspect them for swelling.

IMO lipo's shouldn't be used in something you put very close to your face.

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks
262699d1188692513-associated-factory-team-tc5-brushless-lipo-li-ion-nanophosphate-tips-tricks-batterry-fire-resized.jpg

Safety tips.
Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries and LiPo Failure Reports - RC Groups

This is just MO.

Nice bit of scaremongering there.

News at 10: Abused battery catches fire!

Today a battery which had been severely abused caught fire. The poor battery which was at the end of it's useful life anyway having lost over 25% of it's capacity in 1/6th of the time it would have taken an non-abused battery to lose up to 20% of it's capacity could take no more and combusted.

If you are squeamish don't read the list of abuses:

The battery was subjected to repeated shock as the buggy it was in crashed at 40+mph
It was stored for 2 months fully charged (pretty much the most stressful thing you can do) and not only was it stored like this, the charge was topped up every 2 weeks as if to rub salt into it's wounds
It was taken off the shelf and tested to see if it would still discharge at 100A
The test drained it so it was charged at the normal rate. As it hadn't caught fire charging at the normal rate the charge rate was doubled.
The battery was was again subjected to repeated shock as the buggy it was in crashed at 40+mph

At this point it finally gave in and caught fire.

Wow!
I hadn't heard of any venting incidents in APV's at all!
Do you have any idea what caused your failure?
Any photos of the resulting damage?
Hopefully the damage was limited to the device and not yourself!

The build is still a couple of months off as it'll be done in Spain. Need something to keep me away from the pub! I'm looking at putting together a basic workshop in the garage out there.

I dropped it and it vented, wasn't very dramatic just steam like stuff came out it and there was strange kind of gritty coating on everything inside the mod, still worked when I put a new battery in it.

Be careful with your vaporshark DNA : electronic_cigarette

There was another thread on ECF about a vapor shark venting and he posted pics of the burn marks it left in his sink (he threw it in the sink after it started to vent). ECF deleted the thread I suppose vapor shark didn't like the thread.

Nice bit of scaremongering there.

News at 10: Abused battery catches fire!

Today a battery which had been severely abused caught fire. The poor battery which was at the end of it's useful life anyway having lost over 25% of it's capacity in 1/6th of the time it would have taken an non-abused battery to lose up to 20% of it's capacity could take no more and combusted.

If you are squeamish don't read the list of abuses:

The battery was subjected to repeated shock as the buggy it was in crashed at 40+mph
It was stored for 2 months fully charged (pretty much the most stressful thing you can do) and not only was it stored like this, the charge was topped up every 2 weeks as if to rub salt into it's wounds
It was taken off the shelf and tested to see if it would still discharge at 100A
The test drained it so it was charged at the normal rate. As it hadn't caught fire charging at the normal rate the charge rate was doubled.
The battery was was again subjected to repeated shock as the buggy it was in crashed at 40+mph

At this point it finally gave in and caught fire.

Are you smoking crack ??

Back
Top Bottom