What's new

Any woodworkers ?

Hi, thanks everyone so far for your input ... though I should explain that I have probably seen all quadrant - semi-round - beading - molding - etc etc out there :strawberry: actually I have done this before with the same aluminium body as above, but for a smaller end instrument body. It worked using pine quadrants, but it was hard getting it done and the lack of precision spoiled the result.

quadrant 3.png

If you note, 4 quadrants ( no. 2), make the correct round body (no. 1), however its solid ... I need no 4, which is no. 2 with the bottom part of no. 3 planed down to the line.

There are beadings that look similar to no. 4 offered, but the dimensions never indicate the diameter of the circle they were taken from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-OAK...89747?pt=UK_Flooring&var=&hash=item43ae0ce613

Like the above example it shares the same name "half round" when it clearly isn't. This is the same all over the internet.

I am sure what I want can be bought of the shelf and someone with knowledge could point me to it .... Failing that hopefully someone has the tools to do a pro job at planing quadrants, which although costlier will do the same job ... :strawberry:

Last edited:
Wow, here we go. Gonna have a try and PLEASE correct me if my maths is (are) wrong, it's been a while. Ok, you want a circle of diameter 40 mm? Giving it a radius of 20mm, meaning that each edge of your quadrant adjacent to the right angle will also be 20mm. Using Pythagoras theorem (a2+b2=c2) means that the straight edge of fig.3 must be 28.28 mm long.

Now for the circumference: C=2pi r =2x3.1415927x20 = 125.66mm, you want quadrant so divide by 4 = 31.41mm.

So find a bit of your chosen wood with a straight edge measuring 28mm and a curved edge measuring 31mm, glue 4 of them together and you should end up with something pretty damn close to a circle. Hope this helps and that I haven't completely misunderstood the question and made a monkey of myself :)

P.S. You might need some very small pieces of wood in each internal corner for the glue to adhere to

Thanks mate, you may be giving me the right answer, but I don't know how to translate that with the dimensions given by traders see here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-OAK...arpentry_Woodwork_ET&var=&hash=item43ae34b4a0 and in my other post above... :strawberry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom