What's new

Any woodworkers ?

Szaxe

Achiever
quadrant.png

Hi, this is for modding a WX7 (electronic sax) not an ecig .... however I know POTV memebers are knowledgable on many fronts and helpful :strawberry:

I have pulled my hair out, for what seems something simple ... I have seen quandrants (no. 2) at the right size and Half round like no. 3, but damned if I can work out if any of no.3 would do from the offered dimensions.

Simplified I want to turn a square into a 40 - 44 mm round body (no. 1), by basically adding 4 lengths of no. 3 ... I can't use an abs pipe as
there is also carving involved.

I know I could use a 19mm or 22mm no. 2 quadrant and plane it down, but don't fancy the job or trust my abilities to get it right.

Any suggestions or anyone do small scale jobs ... I only need 4 or 8 (with spares) 19" -20" (48cm - 50cm) no 3's.

Thanks, any suggestions welcome. :strawberry:

Wow, here we go. Gonna have a try and PLEASE correct me if my maths is (are) wrong, it's been a while. Ok, you want a circle of diameter 40 mm? Giving it a radius of 20mm, meaning that each edge of your quadrant adjacent to the right angle will also be 20mm. Using Pythagoras theorem (a2+b2=c2) means that the straight edge of fig.3 must be 28.28 mm long.

Now for the circumference: C=2pi r =2x3.1415927x20 = 125.66mm, you want quadrant so divide by 4 = 31.41mm.

So find a bit of your chosen wood with a straight edge measuring 28mm and a curved edge measuring 31mm, glue 4 of them together and you should end up with something pretty damn close to a circle. Hope this helps and that I haven't completely misunderstood the question and made a monkey of myself :)

P.S. You might need some very small pieces of wood in each internal corner for the glue to adhere to

Hi what's the square in the middle made of ?

Hi, its not actually square, but it's alluminium .. A pic may be easier ... The first pic shows the unmodded body (without keys etc) ... The second pic shows one semi - round attched to the top (alluminium). If you look at the 3rd pic you can see the other semi rounds are attached to wood slats creating the square ... if that makes sense ... :strawberry:

quadrant 2.jpg

Hi, its not actually square, but it's alluminium .. A pic may be easier ... The first pic shows the unmodded body (without keys etc) ... The second pic shows one semi - round attched to the top (alluminium). If you look at the 3rd pic you can see the other semi rounds are attached to wood slats creating the square ... if that makes sense ... :strawberry:

View attachment 4241

As far as I can see, the internal and external dimensions of the round bit will still be the same?

Back
Top Bottom