What's new

3d printing a mod

Forgot to post completed mod. So here we are. Dna75 from a therion with acrylic mount and faceplate. 24mm 510, mod maker 18650 ss battery tube. And a rather larger than I intended 3d printed body.
It is an absolute monster. Works flawlessly. I had major problems getting to the 510 nut to tighten but got it with a lot of tools and swearing.
My soldering on this one is much better, neater and I'm happy with using the mod. All wiring is soldered and heat shrunk over.
Let's be cometely honest here....
Thinks I don't like....
1. I forgot to fillet the inside corners where the faceplate fits.
2. I had to use resin to glue the battery tube and faceplate in and I wasn't that neat with it.
3. It feels a bit square and chunky on the top.
4. I know I can make better so I'm not happy with this.
IMG_20200408_075223.jpg
IMG_20200408_075033.jpg
IMG_20200408_074922.jpg
IMG_20200408_074832.jpg

It is a nice looking mod,you did a good job.
Where did you found bat tube?

It is a nice looking mod,you did a good job.
Where did you found bat tube?
Got the mod makers tube which was the same height but the contacts come off to the side so after soldering wires on it doesn't need clearence on the top

Looks pretty nice Tony, good job.

I've also tried to design my own DNA mod around the DNA200 board I have, unfortunately I have had the same kind of issues as you have so far. Trying to design something without a battery tube and for multi cell devices is hard, but fun also.

Up to now I've probably wasted about 500g of plastic to basically find out I can't assemble the thing or have it break while assembling. Project has been put on hold for now, but I hope to get back to it eventually.

Looks pretty nice Tony, good job.

I've also tried to design my own DNA mod around the DNA200 board I have, unfortunately I have had the same kind of issues as you have so far. Trying to design something without a battery tube and for multi cell devices is hard, but fun also.

Up to now I've probably wasted about 500g of plastic to basically find out I can't assemble the thing or have it break while assembling. Project has been put on hold for now, but I hope to get back to it eventually.
I have been busy since this last post. I have altered the mod considerably and its now as I wanted it and works very well. I got my mate to print this one in clear pla which I'm aware isn't the best material for high heat vaping but I only use it for mtl. I have 3 bodies professionally printed in Polyamide Sls ready to build and sell. Also have a fb group now too.
What are ur issues with breaking while assembling? What material are u using to print with? How thick are ur walls and top plate?
IMG_20201027_082110.jpg

I have been busy since this last post. I have altered the mod considerably and its now as I wanted it and works very well. I got my mate to print this one in clear pla which I'm aware isn't the best material for high heat vaping but I only use it for mtl. I have 3 bodies professionally printed in Polyamide Sls ready to build and sell. Also have a fb group now too.
What are ur issues with breaking while assembling? What material are u using to print with? How thick are ur walls and top plate? View attachment 230975
PLA does get a bit soft when you get it warm, but I would think an mtl device wouldn't get that hot.
It's more the small and thin parts that tend to break, things like pcb mounts and points for mounting battery contacts. All parts that needed redesign basically. I was trying to take on too much at once really, it was my first experiment with CAD so learning the software and trying to make something work without being able to actually touch and get a feel for how big things are is hard for me. I'd probably have an easier time making something out of wood by hand than designing it in CAD.

I was going for 100% 3d printed with as little post processing as possible basically, all parts either finished or all one piece after printing. Which using a cheap 3d printer makes very challenging, as I'm sure you have discovered.

And yes, I could just download and print someone else's design, but I wanted something unique that I had made and assembled, but also something that didn't look like shit.

I was going for 100% 3d printed with as little post processing as possible basically, all parts either finished or all one piece after printing. Which using a cheap 3d printer makes very challenging, as I'm sure you have discovered.

And yes, I could just download and print someone else's design, but I wanted something unique that I had made and assembled, but also something that didn't look like shit.
The bodies for mine are all 1 piece but I use battery tubes so it's a bit easier. I've never used contacts. You could design it to take a battery sled so it fits in seemelessly with a cover to go over the edges so you don't see any wires etc.. Might make it easier on your first project plus you can order the sled and have it in hand to get a better feel for the size of things. Or download a file to print your own sled if that's more your thing.
I too had never used cad before designing these mods and your right it's a steep learning curve but it does get easier. I'd also never soldered before and taught myself by watching YouTube videos lol but I'm pretty proficient now.
I'm considering ordering a clear resin body for a personal mod so soldering needs to be bang on as it will all be on show
IMG_20201016_104731_168.jpg

Back
Top Bottom